opened video is showing really odd green and red colors

Started by erich, February 13, 2019, 11:56:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

erich

When I open a video, I get a really strange green and red color cast over the entire video which is not in the original avi video. What is causing it and how do I get rid of it?

eumagga0x2a

Probably a colorspace conversion issue which is more likely when the video consists of uncompressed bitmap images. Please provide the (textual) output of MediaInfo for the file in question.

erich

Thanks for the reply. The video was created by me in an animation program, so yes I believe it is uncompressed bmp, but I am not sure. I don't know how I woudl get the info you asked for. Can you tell me how I might be able to correct this colorspace issue?

Thanks.

eumagga0x2a

MediaInfo is an open source program. Please install it, let it analyse the file and copypaste the textual output (like on the screenshot) into your reply.

To try to avoid the colorspace issue, please set the bit depth of BMP images to 24 (remove the alpha channel). In doubt please provide a small sample (just a single frame would suffice) out of the animation program using WeTransfer, Mega, Dropbox, Google Drive or a similar service.

erich

Hi. I have attached a screenshot from MediaInfo and one frame of the animation. Thanks for your help.

eumagga0x2a

So MediaInfo says it is RGBA while Avidemux assumes ARGB. It can be both ways and there is currently no way for Avidemux to tell which matches the current image.

The image you provided is a JPEG, it can't be from the video which consists of uncompressed bitmaps. If the animation program can be configured to export JPEGs instead of uncompressed bitmaps, and this would be acceptable for you quality-wise, you would circumvent the problem with Avidemux. Alternatively set bitmap bit depth to 24 instead of 32.

erich

Hi. It seems that the animation program, when automatically set to produce the individual frames of the video, poroduces bmp images, but when I do it manually it creates jpgs.