Bug Report: avidemux not obeying rotation/orientation

Started by bmcdonnell, February 17, 2019, 01:11:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmcdonnell

Using Avidemux 2.7.1 Release on Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, build 16299.

Attached is MediaInfo output from 3 video files shot with a phone, with the camera oriented at 0, 90, and 180 degrees. Note the "Rotation" field in two of them.

All 3 playback with the correct orientation using VLC and Windows Media Player, but only the 0-degree video displays correctly in Avidemux. Processing with Avidemux and with "Video Output" set to "Copy" strips the rotation/orientation info.

Please make avidemux obey and retain the rotation/orientation field.

Additionally, as a feature request, it would be useful to have a way to rotate a video without reprocessing, i.e. with "Video Output" set to "Copy". Currently the only way I know to do this is to re-encode, and apply a "Rotate" Filter.

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: bmcdonnell on February 17, 2019, 01:11:58 AM
only the 0-degree video displays correctly in Avidemux.

Yes, this is by design. Avidemux is not a video player, no container specific display modifications (no rotation, no anamorphic corrections) are applied.

QuoteProcessing with Avidemux and with "Video Output" set to "Copy" strips the rotation/orientation info.

This info is usable only when saving to mp4 container.

QuoteAdditionally, as a feature request, it would be useful to have a way to rotate a video without reprocessing, i.e. with "Video Output" set to "Copy". Currently the only way I know to do this is to re-encode, and apply a "Rotate" Filter.

This was implemented a month ago by [muxerMp4] Allow to set rotation flag.

bmcdonnell

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on February 17, 2019, 01:05:50 PM
Quote from: bmcdonnell on February 17, 2019, 01:11:58 AM
only the 0-degree video displays correctly in Avidemux.

Yes, this is by design. Avidemux is not a video player, no container specific display modifications (no rotation, no anamorphic corrections) are applied.

QuoteProcessing with Avidemux and with "Video Output" set to "Copy" strips the rotation/orientation info.

This info is usable only when saving to mp4 container.

Is MP4 really the only container that supports the feature?

Does Avidemux output any container formats besides MKV?

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on February 17, 2019, 01:05:50 PM
QuoteAdditionally, as a feature request, it would be useful to have a way to rotate a video without reprocessing, i.e. with "Video Output" set to "Copy". Currently the only way I know to do this is to re-encode, and apply a "Rotate" Filter.

This was implemented a month ago by [muxerMp4] Allow to set rotation flag.

I see that that commit resides in your ffmpeg4x branch. Are releases produced from master?

This feature isn't in the latest stable release (2.7.1), right? Is it in the nightly builds? What branch are those made from?

Will Avidemux display the video according to the selected rotation (preferable, IMO), or will it only affect the output?

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: bmcdonnell on February 17, 2019, 04:43:09 PM
Is MP4 really the only container that supports the feature?

Yes.

QuoteDoes Avidemux output any container formats besides MKV?

MPEG TS and PS, AVI and WEBM.

QuoteI see that that commit resides in your ffmpeg4x branch. Are releases produced from master?

Yes, but not the beta which is planned to be released soon. If the beta fares well, ffmpeg4x will be merged into master.

QuoteThis feature isn't in the latest stable release (2.7.1), right?

Of course not.

QuoteIs it in the nightly builds? What branch are those made from?

Everything current 64 bit: ffmpeg4x, everything current 32 bit: legacy-compat.

QuoteWill Avidemux display the video according to the selected rotation (preferable, IMO), or will it only affect the output?

The latter.

bmcdonnell

I just downloaded and installed the latest Win64 nightly, Avidemux 2.7.1.190210. I see that to use this new feature, I have to select the "MP4 Muxer" under the "Output Format" drop down menu on the left, and then click the "Configure" button. Thanks.

niczoom

I would still prefer Avidemux to keep (honour) the rotation flag of the incoming video (MP4) if it has one. I use ffmpeeg and/or exiftool at times to change the metadata rotate flag on some videos. Also would be helpful to have an option, perhaps in the view menu, to rotate the video(s) whilst they are being edited (if they are not the right orientation to begin with).