Why are some video files so jumpy in frames?

Started by Vygantas, February 17, 2019, 08:59:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vygantas

Hi there, when editing 30 or 10 seconds videos, sometimes there are parts where I can only jump (as starting point) from 1st sec to 6th, etc (using jump by frame option). Making it hard to cut videos with a specific length in might, it's either 14 seconds or 24, etc. but can't be 20

Is this something that can be improved in future builds?

v271v2

eumagga0x2a

No, this is already an improvement over a total failure to advance in a video when undecodable / broken frames are encountered, implemented by [editor] Try to continue from the next keyframe if decoding fails from 2018-05-18.

eumagga0x2a

In doubt, please provide a video exhibiting this problem during frame-stepping as a sample using WeTransfer, Mega, Dropbox, Google Drive or a similar service.

Vygantas

Tried to post, but got rejected by filter. Let me repost with edit button

--

Hi, here are two videos, both can be split at around every 8 seconds only, please note: these are NOT SAFE FOR WORK GIFs, meaning content for adults.

<links to samples removed>

eumagga0x2a

I misunderstood "jump by frame" as "step by frame". What you obviously meant is called "seek to keyframe" or "keyframe-based navigation".

There is nothing wrong with the samples from video-technical point of view. If you want to keep visual quality (copy mode), you must set cut points at keyframes. If you re-encode, you can set cut points at any frame you like. This is a fundamental limitation based in the very nature of video compression.