News:

--

Main Menu

Subtitles filter disappeared

Started by kimnaru, March 17, 2019, 03:06:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kimnaru

Hello everyone. I have Avidemux 2.7.2 installed on Ubuntu 18.04. Everything was working fine but suddenly subtitles filter just disappeared. I tried googling and as I understand I have to install this filter separately?... How can I fix this problem? Thanks in advance.

eumagga0x2a

Did you compile yourself, run the appImage or a third-party build?

kimnaru

No, I did nothing. It looks like the filter disappeared after Ubuntu got updated but I'm not sure actually. Anyway I didn't do anything myself.

eumagga0x2a

There are no official Avidemux packages for Ubuntu, please explain where and in what form did you obtain the application so that it would be possible to assess the problem.

eumagga0x2a

This means you use a third-party build. The subtitles filter plugin is in avidemux2.7-plugins-common package, it uses bundled libass.

In general, third-party builds are supported by the third party which provides them. If you wish, I can assist you in compiling Avidemux from source.

kimnaru

Yes, please, it would be so great!

eumagga0x2a

Good, the first step would be to uninstall currently installed Avidemux packages:

sudo apt-get purge "avidemux*"

Then you should install git (if git is already installed, skip this step):

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install git

Clone the Avidemux git repository to your home directory:

cd $HOME
git clone https://github.com/mean00/avidemux2.git

Checkout the ffmpeg4x branch, which contains the current code (the master branch is far behind at the moment):

cd avidemux2
git checkout ffmpeg4x

Install build dependencies:

bash createDebFromSourceUbuntu.bash --deps-only

Install optional additional packages so that Avidemux plugins like the subtitle filter, the libmad based audio decoder and the MP4v2 muxer use system libraries instead of bundled versions:

sudo apt-get install libass-dev liba52-0.7.4-dev libmad0-dev libmp4v2-dev

If your PC has a pretty recent NVIDIA graphics card used with the closed-source driver, you might want to enable the build of NVENC-based H.264 and HEVC encoders. You would need to clone nv-codec-headers for that:

cd $HOME
git clone https://github.com/FFmpeg/nv-codec-headers

If your NVIDIA driver version is 390 (the most recent one available for 18.04.x), checkout the sdk/8.1 branch:

cd nv-codec-headers
git checkout sdk/8.1

Build and install the headers:

make
sudo make install

Change directory back to the avidemux2 folder:

cd ~/avidemux2

Further steps depend from how would you like to install (or not install) Avidemux. If more than a single user should be able to run Avidemux, it must be installed. Otherwise, it can be run as a portable app without installation. I am going to describe the latter option first, because it suites the best for testing the latest changes in the code.

Build Avidemux from scratch:

bash bootStrap.bash --with-system-libass --with-system-liba52 --with-system-libmad --with-system-libmp4v2

If the build succeeds, copy "run_avidemux_template.sh" as "avidemux" to a folder in your $PATH, e.g. to /usr/local/bin and make it executable:

sudo cp run_avidemux_template.sh /usr/local/bin/avidemux
sudo chmod +x /usr/local/bin/avidemux

Now you should be able to run Avidemux from terminal simply by executing

avidemux

Later builds may be greatly sped up by reusing the products of the previous compilation. Add the --rebuild option to the bootStrap.bash command line for that.

If any of the above steps fails, don't proceed with the next one. Report the failure here so that the reason can be identified and the recipe updated or bugs in the convenience script fixed.

Jan Gruuthuse

Following above procedure should produce a working avidemux 2.7.2 with available Subtitles filter.

kimnaru

Installation failed at this point :( It says: This repository is turned off as safe updating from it is impossible.

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on March 19, 2019, 04:35:36 PM

Install build dependencies:

bash createDebFromSourceUbuntu.bash --deps-only

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: kimnaru on March 21, 2019, 03:24:34 AM
Installation failed at this point :( It says: This repository is turned off as safe updating from it is impossible.

You should have posted the terminal output of the command to know which build dependencies were already installed and to identify and remove the faulty repository and preferably all packages installed from that source. The error means simply that the package manager (apt) configuration on your system is broken and needs to be fixed anyway.

https://wiki.debian.org/SourcesList
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/CommandLine