News:

--

Main Menu

Remastering with Avidemux

Started by bowspearer, March 16, 2019, 06:48:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bowspearer

Hi, I'm hoping people can help me out as this is far more advanced that what I've typically done with Avidemux, which has been little more than transcoding and simple things like cropping the framesize and joining video files together.

I've got low resolution 80s toy commercials which in some cases need cleaning up to remove artefacts and whihc I was hoping to upscale and remaster to 1080p. I realise some might consider this frivolous, but for me it's going to be a labour of love and the gains will be worth the effort for me personally. That said, I figure I'll start with the easy ones and then deal with the more difficult ones where I need to be able to clean up specific artefacts.

What combination of filters should I be looking at if with files which don't need artefacts removed and simply need to be upscaled and remastered?

eumagga0x2a

It is necessary to have a sample of the source video to give recommendations. If the source is a digitized capture from VHS tapes, the role of the capture device is crucial, especially regarding interlacing.

andrewk8

I was searching for alternatives when I couldn't get ADM to do what I wanted.  Couple of options I came across were Kdenlive, OpenShot, Shotcut, Olive, and Davinci Resolve.

Ended up using Shotcut.   Steep learning curve.  Not completely happy with the outcome, but better result than what I could get out of ADM.

Davinci Resolve is commercial software that has a freemium level.  Looks to be a steeper learning curve than even Shotcut.  Installed it. Opened it.  Panic attack.  Closed it.  Maybe if I bothered to learn it I would get a better result than Shotcut.  Don't know.