Win64 V2.7.3 cannot be made to appear on Win10 "open with" list

Started by Simon 1402, April 04, 2019, 05:46:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon 1402

Saw this listed as a problem with an earlier version but no help with 2.7.3.

Clean install, reboot etc..

Avidemux does not appear on initial "open with" list (which has happened with earlier versions) so went through usual process of navigating to executable. With previous versions, once this has been done once, Avidemux will appear on the list for all future files with same extension BUT not with V2.7.3. With that I have to get to "choose another app" at which point "avidemux.exe" appears instead of "Avidemux VC++ 64bits" suggesting that the actual app name is not fully registered with Windows.

Any help?

eumagga0x2a

What is the problem with it? The name of the binary is "avidemux.exe" and it becomes available for "open with" once Windows has been pointed to it. Isn't it beautiful that Avidemux doesn't grab a truckload of file types, is it? It makes even the mere installation unnecessary, just copy the program directory anywhere you like.

Simon 1402

No, it doesn't become available for "Open with" you have two extra clicks through the "Choose another app" dialogue.

eumagga0x2a

I see.

QuoteWith previous versions, once this has been done once, Avidemux will appear on the list for all future files with same extension

"Previous versions" are probably all versions with the NSIS installer. You could try whether the 2.7.2 MinGW release build (r190310) from https://avidemux.org/nightly/win64/ and the latest win32 nightly (currently r190406) from https://avidemux.org/nightly/win32/ behave as you expect.

QuoteWith that I have to get to "choose another app" at which point "avidemux.exe" appears instead of "Avidemux VC++ 64bits" suggesting that the actual app name is not fully registered with Windows.

That one you can set to any string you like by editing the value of the <full path\to avidemux.exe>.FriendlyAppName subkey of HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\MuiCache.

Simon 1402

Sorry if I am being thick but I can unzip that build but can't see how to install it?

Thanks for your help,
Simon

eumagga0x2a

The 2.7.3 r190408 mingw built nightly is available, with quite a lot of bugfixes, take that one. All mingw win64 builds are available both as an NSIS installer (.exe) and as a ZIP archive. The latter does not need to be installed, just extract the content and run avidemux.exe.

eumagga0x2a

Actually, the point was to test whether the NSIS installer behaves differently, so please just pick avidemux_2.7.3 r190408_win64.exe instead of avidemux_r190408_win64Qt5_32.zip

Simon 1402

Great - that new version has worked perfectly. Thank you so much for your help.

Simon