[SOLVED] Where is the "Frame rate" option??

Started by zakafreakarama, April 24, 2015, 06:41:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zakafreakarama

Hi all. Sorry if this topic has been debated before, but I couldn't find any references to it in the forum.

Been a user of the Avidemux 2.5 (Linux) branch for a long time now, but lately I've been testing 2.6 just to check. Pretty much everything has been simplified and/or improved, except for the very useful (for me) "Frame rate" option under the "Video" menu. I can't find it anywhere and I am pretty sure it has not been included in the 2.6 branch. Which is a pity, because it's always been very useful to convert HD videos to PAL DVD. I know one can use the "Resample FPS" filter for that, but the result isn't nearly as good as simply speeding up the video. Having to create an extra frame per second gives a very annoying effect, especially in traveling/panning sequences.

Can this feature be added back to Avidemux, please?

Thanx a lot. :)

AQUAR

Could you not use the change FPS filter to speed up / slow down?

Jan Gruuthuse

not certain if this is what you want:
Load HD content. Then from avidemux menu: Auto -> DVD: use the correct aspect ratios for source and destination 16:9

BBC HD sample 1920*1080i to 720x576 dvd converted: dropbox testHDToDVD.mpg

Tested with Avidemux 2.6.8 (5ef460d) ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS amd64

zakafreakarama

QuoteCould you not use the change FPS filter to speed up / slow down?

No. That filter resamples the video, which means it keeps the total running time. And to do so, it has to either eliminate frames (if the source is NTSC video at 30 fps) or duplicate a frame per second (if the source is film, 24 fps) in order to get a PAL (25 fps) video clip. That is definitely not what I want. As I said, there are some undesirable side effects.

Quotenot certain if this is what you want:
Load HD content. Then from avidemux menu: Auto -> DVD: use the correct aspect ratios for source and destination 16:9

BBC HD sample 1920*1080i to 720x576 dvd converted: https://www.dropbox.com/s/i60i27vkdt687qd/testHDToDVD.mpg?dl=0

Tested with Avidemux 2.6.8 (5ef460d) ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS amd64

Thanks, but again, no. Haven't seen the source, but that clip is from BBC Four, which means it was probably already 25 fps (PAL) rate. And I'm sure the original HD clip had a 16:9 aspect ratio, while your conversion added black bars to make it 4:3. That's rather undesirable, and that's why I don't use the automatic DVD parameters ever. I prefer to tweak the settings manually. I need to speed up film sources that run at a frame rate of 24 OR 23.976 to 25 fps. It was easy with the 2.5.x branch.

Jan Gruuthuse

Within avidemux only these 2 are available:

zakafreakarama

Okay, that was dumb of me.
I assumed the "Change FPS" filter was the old "Resample FPS" one, but I see now they're both there. So the frame rate option has become a "filter" in 2.6. That's OK.

Thanks for your help, guys.

By the way, Jan, the video you encoded is not DVD compliant. Its GOP size is 18, which is out of spec for PAL DVDs (maximum GOP size is 15, most commonly used is 12). You can use a GOP of 18 in NTSC DVDs though.

Jan Gruuthuse

Normally I don't do conversions to dvd. Was only on the fly (testing).
enjoy Avidemux

ybulbu

Finally, I've found a practical way to change the frame-rate and the speed of a PAL DVD to its original 24 fps form! I was wondering if there is any way in this program to do it without changing the quality of the frames, in other words to remux the frames, changing only their frame-rate.

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: ybulbu on May 23, 2019, 11:10:40 AM
Finally, I've found a practical way to change the frame-rate and the speed of a PAL DVD to its original 24 fps form!

Are you able to stretch audio without gradually losing sync?

QuoteI was wondering if there is any way in this program to do it without changing the quality of the frames, in other words to remux the frames, changing only their frame-rate.

No, this is not implemented.

ybulbu

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on May 23, 2019, 06:17:33 PM
Are you able to stretch audio without gradually losing sync?
Yes! Basically using other programs to stretch.
For the videos that I want now to edit, I have the audio stream in its correct speed from another source. The problem is that the PAL version of the movie has a larger frame, with many bits missing at the NTSC DVD of the same company.
QuoteNo, this is not implemented.
Thank you very much!