News:

--

Main Menu

Mojave *only* for 2.72?

Started by honeyko, May 22, 2019, 01:34:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

honeyko

Are you kidding me? Mojave is still-in-unpaid-user-beta-testing, and most Mac-owners won't be using it until they've upgraded to their next machine (assuming it's still an Apple).

Please release a version for the previous iterations (e.g., at least back to El Capitan, as that's the common platform for Sierra/High Sierra).

eumagga0x2a

"osx_mojave" means the builds are generated on Mojave, not that they don't run on older macOS versions, which is hoped for (I have no testing capabilities other than 10.14.x, the author of Avidemux might have some).

honeyko

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on May 23, 2019, 05:37:14 AM
"osx_mojave" means the builds are generated on Mojave, not that they don't run on older macOS versions, which is hoped for (I have no testing capabilities other than 10.14.x, the author of Avidemux might have some).
Although 2.72 doesn't have the "x" through its icon (usual when denoting incompatibility), it auto-quits before displaying anything if launched in El Capitan. (So: bug-submission, I guess.)

As far as testing platforms go, put it on a USB flash-stick and try is on any 2006-to-2014 era machine. (You can find used, El Capitan-capable core2 macbooks on Craigslist for well under $150, depending on where you live. They're handy toys that won't depreciate much, and are ideal for this sort of backward-compatibility thing.)

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: honeyko on May 23, 2019, 02:21:33 PM
Although 2.72 doesn't have the "x" through its icon (usual when denoting incompatibility), it auto-quits before displaying anything if launched in El Capitan. (So: bug-submission, I guess.)

First of all, 2.7.2 is obsolete, we are long past 2.7.3 and very much pre-2.7.4, that is why I posted a link to the location where official nightly builds for macOS are uploaded to. Please launch the latest nightly from the Terminal and post the error message.

/Applications/Avidemux_2.7.3.app/Contents/MacOS/Avidemux2.7

QuoteAs far as testing platforms go, put it on a USB flash-stick and try is on any 2006-to-2014 era machine. (You can find used, El Capitan-capable core2 macbooks on Craigslist for well under $150, depending on where you live. They're handy toys that won't depreciate much, and are ideal for this sort of backward-compatibility thing.)

Unfortunately, this won't happen due to my limited time resources and different priorities. Additionally, if a build turns out to be not backward-compatible, there is nothing I could do about it other than just knowing the fact. El Capitan is already out of regular support by Homebrew, required to build Avidemux. If you manage to get brew installed and working, you could pretty easily build Avidemux yourself.

brew install cmake nasm yasm qt@5.9 xvid x264 x265 opus fdk-aac lame mad libass mp4v2 a52dec

(the list might be incomplete) should install the dependencies. Please note that current qt versions require macOS 10.12, so the legacy qt@5.9 would be the only option.

git clone https://github.com/mean00/avidemux2.git
cd avidemux2
git checkout ffmpeg4x

If

bash bootStrapOsx_Sierra.bash --with-system-libass --with-system-liba52 --with-system-libmad --with-system-libmp4v2

succeeds, an Avidemux DMG file will be created in the "installer" subdirectory of "avidemux2".

honeyko

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on May 23, 2019, 05:34:02 PM
First of all, 2.7.2 is obsolete, we are long past 2.7.3 and very much pre-2.7.4, that is why I posted a link to the location where official nightly builds for macOS are uploaded to. Please launch the latest nightly from the Terminal and post the error message.
Point of note, 2.7.2 is the current listed Mac OS available version at avidemux.sourceforge.

eumagga0x2a

This can't be helped as long as there is still a way to go until 2.7.4 is out. It doesn't invalidate the fact that some desirable fixes happend post-2.7.2.

Anyway, if you need Avidemux for El Capitan, the maximum I can do for you is to generate a private build of Avidemux on Mojave with an older Qt version and upload it e.g. to WeTransfer. If you try it and it runs: great, we know then what can be done for future releases to serve the needs of those using older macOS versions.

If it doesn't run: not that great. I've outlined how to build Avidemux from source in my last post and could assist you in the process, if you wish.

honeyko

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on May 30, 2019, 06:45:59 PMIf you need Avidemux for El Capitan, the maximum I can do for you is to generate a private build of Avidemux on Mojave with an older Qt version and upload it e.g. to WeTransfer. If you try it and it runs: great, we know then what can be done for future releases to serve the needs of those using older macOS versions.
Sure, let's try that, as I am very curious as to whether or not this was the cause of crash-at-launch. (You'd figure an incompatible Qt module wouldn't cause crash behavior until the user trying playing something....?)

If it DOES turn out to be the Qt, how difficult (or possible at all) would you estimate it would be to replace its coding with open-source from VLC? (I consider irksome the built-in planned-obsolescence behavior of third-party utilities dependent upon software components provided by hardware OEMs.)

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: honeyko on May 30, 2019, 07:04:51 PM
Quote from: eumagga0x2a on May 30, 2019, 06:45:59 PMIf you need Avidemux for El Capitan, the maximum I can do for you is to generate a private build of Avidemux on Mojave with an older Qt version [...]
Sure, let's try that, as I am very curious as to whether or not this was the cause of crash-at-launch. (You'd figure an incompatible Qt module wouldn't cause crash behavior until the user trying playing something....?)

DMG (file size: 26836121 bytes) uploaded to https://we.tl/t-JaHhC3RqEP

shasum -a 256 Avidemux\ 2.7.3\ Qt\ 5.9.6\ c4b22c97c18.dmg
d5555373b0221a336f37e49dec1cb01f0f4f3e25f9761a4239ef001a1ed406f0  Avidemux 2.7.3 Qt 5.9.6 c4b22c97c18.dmg

Without Avidemux log or Apple crash report available, Qt was just a wild guess as Qt 5.12.x explicitly states that it is incompatible with old macOS versions. It may bei crashing for another reason. We will see.

QuoteIf it DOES turn out to be the Qt, how difficult (or possible at all) would you estimate it would be to replace its coding with open-source from VLC?

I can't follow you. If it is really enough to build using an old Qt in order to allow Avidemux to run on El Capitan, it is just about re-running the Avidemux build script with MYQT environment variable set to a different value.

honeyko

Well, it was worth a shot, but it still crashes at launch. (I can see it appear in the Activity Monitor, and its icon will briefly bounce on the dock bar, but it just quits without any alerts or windows appearing.)

eumagga0x2a

Well, so it was not just Qt version.

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on May 23, 2019, 05:34:02 PM
Please launch the latest nightly from the Terminal and post the error message.

/Applications/Avidemux_2.7.3.app/Contents/MacOS/Avidemux2.7

This would be the first step to identify what Avidemux on El Capitan is actually missing.

honeyko

Terminal, attempting to open the May 28 nightly....

LSOpenURLsWithRole() failed for the application /Applications/Avidemux.app with error -10810.

...If you could provide some strings to throw at Terminal to test various package contents, I'll try them.

eumagga0x2a

-10810 is kLSUnknownErr, "unknown error" from launch services – great... No idea how to proceed ATM.

Would you like to try building Avidemux yourself as outlined in an earlier post?

honeyko

I haven't programmed in years, so I doubt my bumbling will be the quickest solution.

From my browsing elsewhere, I'm reasonably convinced it's not an inability-to-read error or a quarantine issue.

-- What is the first component within the MacOS Avidemux package that is run? Launching that from Terminal might yield a more informative error. Possibly some of this may help.

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: honeyko on June 02, 2019, 04:44:12 PM
I haven't programmed in years, so I doubt my bumbling will be the quickest solution.

It is not even certain that building Avidemux on El Capitan is feasible, but it is absolutely certain that no programming will be involved in any way.

QuoteFrom my browsing elsewhere, I'm reasonably convinced it's not an inability-to-read error or a quarantine issue.

AFAIR launching Avidemux from Terminal circumvented at least Gatekeeper on older macOS versions, but I am really not very familiar with macOS specifics. You could try to check whether there are some other unwanted security barriers.

Quote-- What is the first component within the MacOS Avidemux package that is run? Launching that from Terminal might yield a more informative error.

cat /Applications/Avidemux_2.7.3.app/Contents/MacOS/Avidemux2.7

(if you are familiar with bash scripting a little bit).