News:

--

Main Menu

Delete idx2 file?

Started by BG Davis, July 12, 2019, 05:55:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BG Davis

Running HP Pavilion dv7, Win7 64bit

I've been using v 2.6.2 with no problems.
I just downloaded and installed 2.6.3, latest nightly build.  I had to uninstall because it didn't work (I just got a series of error messages which I will be glad to provide at a later date, but they are not the issue now.)
I reinstalled v 2.6.2.  Here's the problem:
Some .MTS files open without difficulty.  But for others, I get an error notice with instructions to delete the idx2 file.  (See attached image.)  Since these .MTS files have never been edited with Avidemux (or any other program), how would they acquire an idx2 file?  And how do I locate it to delete it?

BTW the files in question were created (i.e., the video was shot) within the last two days.

Thanks for any information.

mean

The idx2 file is created automatically by avidemux when loading the file
It is just an index, enabling avidemux to quickly navigate inside the file
Sometimes the index format is changed and you get that warning, saying that an index exists but cannot be used as it has been created with an older format

Normally if the file is foobar.mpg, you should have a foobar.mpg.idx2 in the same folder
Just delete foobar.mpg.idx2

BG Davis

Thanks for the info.
For some reason there is no identifiable idx file created.  Instead, a very small file with extension .MTS is created.  (I tried displaying hidden files and folders, same result.)
Deleting the small .MTS file seems to work so far.

Thanks!

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: BG Davis on July 12, 2019, 05:55:46 AM
I just downloaded and installed 2.6.3, latest nightly build.  I had to uninstall because it didn't work (I just got a series of error messages which I will be glad to provide at a later date, but they are not the issue now.)

Could you please provide more information? Did you try a VC++ or a MinGW nightly build (or both)?

QuoteI reinstalled v 2.6.2.  Here's the problem:
Some .MTS files open without difficulty.  But for others, I get an error notice with instructions to delete the idx2 file.  (See attached image.)

Any paths containing non-ASCII characters? Some character conversion issues in VC++ builds were fixed post-2.7.3 (and thus of course post-2.7.2).

BG Davis

"Could you please provide more information? Did you try a VC++ or a MinGW nightly build (or both)?"
I tried a VC++.

"Any paths containing non-ASCII characters? "
No, none.

Sorry I can't be of more help but I was intent on doing a project and simply wanted to get rid of the problem (v2.6.3) and get on with the project.  I did take some screenshots of error messages, which I'm attaching in case they are of use.  (BTW it would be great if there were a way to copy the info in error messages and then be able to paste it into a document, email or thread.)

BG Davis

Here are two more screenshots that exceeded total attachment size limit.

eumagga0x2a

These errors are related to bad (not matching) .py script files, not to Avidemux version.

BG Davis

All I know is what I reported.  Previous version worked fine; update did not; return to previous version encountered new problems and errors that weren't encountered prior to update and reversion.

eumagga0x2a

I would suggest redoing editing from scratch as some fixes in Avidemux may result in timing now being slightly different from older builds.

BG Davis