News:

--

Main Menu

Unable to open certain files

Started by wallen, July 13, 2019, 09:17:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallen

Win10Pro64; Release 2.7.3.  I've been using Avidemux for a couple of years without issues.  I recently got two new .avi files, and when I try to open them, I get a message box saying "Attempt to open [name].avi failed!"  followed by a message box saying "Could not open the file."  These files play fine in VLC Media Player, Windows Media Player, and a couple of other programs as well.  My initial attempts were from my hard drive, but I also tried the same files directly from the flash drive that held them originally.  Same results.  Can anyone suggest what might be wrong, or how I can rectify the situation so I can edit them?

eumagga0x2a

Could you please post the textual output of MediaInfo for these .avi files?

wallen

A bit much to type.  Here's a screenshot.

eumagga0x2a

I meant the text output by MediaInfo tool which you copy and paste into your reply, almost no typing involved. But I already can suspect that the problem is related to files containing Type 1 DV stream while Avidemux supports only Type 2.

You should remux the files in copy mode with FFmpeg to convert them to Type 2 first.

ffmpeg -i "SourceDrive:\FullPathTo\SourceFile.avi" -c copy "TargetDrive:\FullPathTo\OutputFile.avi"

wallen

eumagga0x2a...  You're correct about the files being Type 1.  I contacted the person who created them for me, and he confirmed.  Thank you for your help.  Wendi