News:

--

Main Menu

x265 missing, 'null' is in its place

Started by chairman.faust, August 21, 2019, 01:49:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chairman.faust

Does avidemux require GPU hardware for x265 to work? I'm trying to use this on a Hyper-V virtual machine, if it requires hardware I can look into getting a dedicated GPU and pass it through, but i was counting on just using CPU power... (32 core host, all cores are presented to the VM)

In any case it seems that the x265 option under video is missing... I only have 'null' as a choice.

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: chairman.faust on August 21, 2019, 01:49:50 PM
Does avidemux require GPU hardware for x265 to work?

No, it doesn't. The HW accelerated decoding, indeed, needs a display.

In any case it seems that the x265 option under video is missing... I only have 'null' as a choice.

Damaged installation? Anyway, I suspect that what you try to do is completely untested.

eumagga0x2a

By the way, does "null in its place" mean that null is the only video "encoder" present? Or is it really just x265 missing from the list?

There was a report in the French section of the forum about x265 encoder missing, which I absolutely can't reproduce either with the official VC++ release build or with an earlier nightly.

chairman.faust

No, it doesn't. The HW accelerated decoding, indeed, needs a display.

ok good to know... i will not be doing anything HW related

Damaged installation? Anyway, I suspect that what you try to do is completely untested.

I first tried this on Server 2019 and then tried it on a Windows 10 install... both instances presented the same problem. While I realize this is completely untested, it should work as I run avidemux just fine on my Windows 10 laptop.

If there is anything I can do to provide logs or troubleshoot this issue, I will do so gladly.

By the way, does "null in its place" mean that null is the only video "encoder" present? Or is it really just x265 missing from the list?

It appears that only the x265 option is missing from the video section... the word null is there instead and it cant be configured. I've attached a pic

eumagga0x2a

"null" is not in x265 place, it is in its own place, but x265 is indeed missing. Is the plugin dll videoEncoders\qt5\libADM_ve_x265_QT5.dll (or a similar filename) completely missing? Have you verified the checksum (at least md5 one) for the installer?

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: chairman.faust on August 21, 2019, 02:14:00 PM
If there is anything I can do to provide logs or troubleshoot this issue, I will do so gladly.

Please just launch Avidemux, close it and attach the file %localappdata%\avidemux\admlog.txt to your reply.

eumagga0x2a

Why are the .lib files there?? I don't think they should have been packaged (no idea whether it is related in any way).

chairman.faust

Here is the adm log... also MD5 checks out

eumagga0x2a

Thank you, now it is becoming interesting:

[videoEncoder6]Symbol loading failed for C:\Program Files\Avidemux 2.7 VC++ 64bits\plugins\videoEncoders/qt5/libADM_ve_x265_QT5.dll
C:\Program Files\Avidemux 2.7 VC++ 64bits\plugins\videoEncoders/qt5/libADM_ve_x265_QT5.dll:CannotLoad

I get md5 SHA-1 f3a13e044b0d1a622442c27d6abb73eb86827a42 for this dll file. What do you get on your system?

(MD5: 2829d8e8edba01e06e5a99b73d88505a)

chairman.faust

f3a13e044b0d1a622442c27d6abb73eb86827a42

looks the same

eumagga0x2a

Yes, the same. A complete mystery so far.

chairman.faust

well if you need me to run or test anything let me know... ive got a completely disposable Windows 10 VM we can destroy (latest version 1903)

eumagga0x2a

Just for fun of it: is the MinGW release build (r190814) or the latest nightly from https://avidemux.org/nightly/win64/ capable of loading its own x265 plugin?

chairman.faust

yes! I tried the 819 build... and its there... null is also at the bottom as well