News:

--

Main Menu

Color Change

Started by seriousgigi, February 06, 2022, 08:35:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seriousgigi

hi when i open a mkv in avidemux it shows different and weird colors than normal media players. like there is some cold filter applied. the problem is when you edit file and save, it also applies this to final file so it is not just visual thing it also changes original video's color to that weird color.

this only happens for some mkv files. but like i said colors are normal in pot player let's say.

also opening 15gb mkv file takes too much time which is so annoyinggggg. (program does 2 times loading)

edit: it was happening in 2.7.5 and i updated to 2.8 and it still happens but this time there is too much saturate. then i realized it has smth to do with HDR. because you can change it from the options at there but i didnt like anything at there. i dont want to barking up the wrong tree.

why cant we just get normal settings? i want to see same colors same image on avidemux as i see it on ordinary media players.

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: seriousgigi on February 06, 2022, 08:35:04 PMalso opening 15gb mkv file takes too much time which is so annoyinggggg. (program does 2 times loading)

Please use the latest nightly. Indexing of Matroska files was modified to do it in one go.

Quote from: seriousgigi on February 06, 2022, 08:35:04 PMedit: it was happening in 2.7.5 and i updated to 2.8 and it still happens but this time there is too much saturate. then i realized it has smth to do with HDR. because you can change it from the options at there but i didnt like anything at there. i dont want to barking up the wrong tree.

You are at the right spot. You should fine-tune saturation and boost level to approach the desired result. Swithing to Hable mode should produce more accurate colors when the target luminance is adjusted to match the actual properties of the screen, but processing in RGB modes is much slower than in YUV.

Quote from: seriousgigi on February 06, 2022, 08:35:04 PMwhy cant we just get normal settings? i want to see same colors same image on avidemux as i see it on ordinary media players.

Ordinary media players let the graphics driver do the job.

seriousgigi

so i assume we will see hardware support in future right?  8)

thx for the answers.

szlldm

Quote from: seriousgigi on February 07, 2022, 02:08:33 PMso i assume we will see hardware support in future right?

There is already some support, in Video menu/HDR tone mapping.
Similar (to video players) tone mappers are planned, but we are not there yet. And it will be software based, not GPU accelerated.

eumagga0x2a

OpenGL based HDR tone mapping like mpv does is hugely beneficial at least performance-wise (and the results look "just right" most of the time). As mpv is capable of saving a tone-mapped screenshot, it might be possible for us to get hold of the image data for further processing.

eumagga0x2a

I should have added that there are some high hurdles to overcome for the path via OpenGL to become viable in Avidemux, the main is the necessity to perform tone mapping prior to reducing color depth, i.e. between the decoder and the editor cache.

We cannot have the functionality in a video filter because the internal pixel format in Avidemux is YV12 which is 8-bit.

Last but not least, OpenGL is available only in the GUI (the CLI version wouldn't be able to use it).

So the current course of action with a software-only implementation done first is fully justified IMHO. It will be required even if an OpenGL implementation gets added some day.