"ExceptionFilter" while opening a mpg-File

Started by DerAndereMicha, September 30, 2019, 01:32:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eumagga0x2a

Nothing was changed regarding supported protocols in bundled FFmpeg. The FFmpeg itself was updated numerous times, however. Can you reproduce Avidemux VC++ or MinGW 2.7.3 successfully saving to MKV (or MP4) on that NAS right now?

DerAndereMicha

eumagga0x2a

Thanks, I forgot that we don't print the output filename and path in case of success.

I wonder wether this could be a regression from the patch [ffmpeg] Update patch for libavutil/file_open.c to fix '-movflags faststart' option in MP4 muxer on Windows which allowed to optimize MP4 files for streaming on Windows too.

If the problem affects also the 32 bits version, where FFmpeg stays at 3.3.9 – the last version compatible with Windows XP – then it is very likely that this patch is the culprit. Even when so, I won't backout it to fix a rarely used feature by breaking a highly needed one (this doesn't mean that a better fix will be ruled out in the long term, of course).

eumagga0x2a

The above means that your test with the latest 32 bits nightly would be appreciated.

DerAndereMicha

QuoteThe above means that your test with the latest 32 bits nightly would be appreciated.

I already understood that, but of course I still have a life next to the Internet.  ;)

I just tried it. No even with the current 32 nightly build saving to a network drive does not work. So it seems to have another cause.

Best regards
Michael

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: DerAndereMicha on October 06, 2019, 08:00:37 AM
I just tried it. No even with the current 32 nightly build saving to a network drive does not work.

Thank you, this means that the patch which fixed the "-movflags faststart" option for mp4 is almost for sure at fault here. I'll return to this issue at some point in the future (and I'll need to setup some sort of a network drive to test it in the first place). In any case, even if saving to a NAS gets fixed, I would recommend to use fast local storage for output.

DerAndereMicha

Thanks, then I'll just use the old version.

eumagga0x2a

To gather info for future investigation of the issue, could you please try during a brief internet moment a non-libavformat-muxer (MP4v2, still available in MinGW builds, or AVI) with output file on your NAS?

(Using 2.7.3 and then 2.7.5, release or nightly)

DerAndereMicha

I have neither MP4 nor AVI as output format, no matter which input format I use.

What's a MinGW build?

eumagga0x2a

The output format (container type) does not depend on the source video container apart from usual codec compatibility considerations (e.g. you can't mix HuffYUV into WebM and AVI is a bad choice for anything newer than DivX/mpeg4).

You set output container in the dropdown menu below the menu for audio codec. MKV is the default, other muxers can be selected.

MinGW is a compiler able to produce Windows binaries on Linux. Windows builds of Avidemux releases up to 2.7.1 were built on Linux with MinGW, from 2.7.2 on they are generated with Microsoft Visual Studio C++ on Windows. MinGW builds are still available as nightlies.

VC++ builds don't include the libmp4v2-based MP4v2 muxer for mp4.

DerAndereMicha

QuoteYou set output container in the dropdown menu below the menu for audio codec. MKV is the default, other muxers can be selected.

I think I'm too stupid to find it. I don't have a dropdown menu like this, I have only a combobox in the save dialog.

How do I recognize the MinGW builds at www.avidemux.org/nightly/ ?

eumagga0x2a

Please look at the old official screenshot http://fixounet.free.fr/avidemux/index_files/screenshot1.png – do you see the bold label "Output Format" in the half-bottom part on the left side (in the area of the codec widget) above a combobox which is on the screeshot set to "Mkv Muxer"?

This label is "Ausgabeformat" in the German translation.

Please click on "Mkv Muxer" in your Avidemux window and select either "AVI Muxer" from the dropdown menu or "MP4v2 Muxer" (if you are going to test saving a H.264 or HEVC sample to NAS, requires an Avidemux build without "VC++" in installer name).

"FLV Muxer", "MP4 Muxer", "Mkv Muxer", "Mpeg TS Muxer (ff)" and "Mpeg-PS Muxer (ff)" all use the same bundled libavformat. The purpose of this test is to find out how other muxers, not based on libavformat, fare saving to NAS in the transition from Avidemux 2.7.3 to 2.7.5.

Quote from: DerAndereMicha on October 07, 2019, 03:51:25 PM
How do I recognize the MinGW builds at www.avidemux.org/nightly/ ?

https://avidemux.org/nightly/win64/ (git master, 64 bits)

and

https://avidemux.org/nightly/win32/ (legacy-compat branch, 32 bits, old compiler, old Qt for Windows XP compatibility).

VC++-built nightlies are in https://avidemux.org/nightly/vsWin64/

DerAndereMicha

QuotePlease look at the old official screenshot http://fixounet.free.fr/avidemux/index_files/screenshot1.png – do you see the bold label "Output Format" in the half-bottom part on the left side (in the area of the codec widget) above a combobox which is on the screeshot set to "Mkv Muxer"?

Oh, God, I was really blind. Sorry!

Here my test results:

2.7.3 Release 64bit - "Mkv Muxer" - save to NAS works

2.7.3 190727 64bit VC++ -  "Mkv Muxer" - saving to NAS does not work
2.7.3 190727 64bit VC++ - "AVI Muxer" - save to NAS works

2.7.5 191005 64bit VC++ -  "Mkv Muxer" - saving to NAS does not work
2.7.5 191005 64bit VC++ - "AVI Muxer"- save to NAS works

2.7.3 190727 64bit  - "Mkv Muxer" - saving to NAS does not work
2.7.3 190727 64bit  - "AVI Muxer" - save to NAS works

2.7.5 191005 64bit -  "Mkv Muxer" - saving to NAS does not work
2.7.5 191005 64bit - "AVI Muxer" - save to NAS works

2.7.3 190727 32bit  - "Mkv Muxer" - saving to NAS does not work
2.7.3 190727 32bit  - "AVI Muxer" - save to NAS works

2.7.5 191005 32bit  - "Mkv Muxer" - saving to NAS does not work
2.7.5 191005 32bit  - "AVI Muxer" - save to NAS works

For me it looks like saving MKV to the NAS will only work in the release version 2.7.3. All versions after that - no matter if with or without VC++ don't work.

Best regards
Michael

eumagga0x2a

Wow, thank you very much for this extensive testing. The results match the hypothesis that the patch from 2019-04-19 which fixed moving the index in mp4 to the start of the file has caused the failure saving to shares.