Fade Out not completing to end of file

Started by loninappleton, October 13, 2019, 06:03:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loninappleton

AVIDemux is a tool I like and can understand after a lot of searching.
The question about end of file fades. 

I entered the end time plus the amount of fade out time.  That seemed to work ok
but the fade would not complete to that very end of 01 09 11 .016.  No matter how
much time I gave it in increasing seconds, that lat little bit would not fade.  It had
an annoying screen message and that wqas the whole point of the fade at end of
a performance.

I did not go back and simply cut the annoying bit out.

I did try to add some time onto the end of the file hoping the fade would overshoot
and complete to black.  AVI Demux did not allow that operation.

What is the answer to this?   The only thing I could think of was key frames which MKVnix
can balk at as well.

Thank for the fine utility.

eumagga0x2a

You posted this in "Stable branch (2.5)" forum, but I assume that you actually use a current supported version which is the latest nightly or at least the 2.7.4 release.

Quote from: loninappleton on October 13, 2019, 06:03:54 PM
I entered the end time plus the amount of fade out time.

The start time should be "end time minus fade out time". The end time should be equal the total duration (which is the default prefilled value).

QuoteThat seemed to work ok but the fade would not complete to that very end of 01 09 11 .016.  No matter how much time I gave it in increasing seconds, that lat little bit would not fade.

Works fine for me with the latest git master, fading completely to black a few pictures before the end of videos I tried. Please retry with the latest available nightly for your platform --> https://avidemux.org/nightly/

"Fade to black" was broken in macOS builds including the 2.7.4 release, fixed shortly after.

loninappleton

I'm confused about this.  From the beginning,

I select the fade in/out option, the second one listed
Then select Add
Then the mins and sec box opens.

If the total time is 01 09 11 .016  (which is the actual time of my sample)
And the fade out time is 3 seconds,

Which goes on the top time group?

I have been entering the time for start of the fade and checking that I have OUT selected in the top and leaving the the end time displayed in the bottom of the box.

Perhaps a screen shot would show how I can correct the error.

Also I did not understand about the nightly builds or forum area for the question. But this
question should apply to any AVIDemux.

thanks

loninappleton

I see where my posting error is.  Must have overlooked something when submitting.  I'll check my version number as well.

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: loninappleton on October 14, 2019, 05:04:43 PM
If the total time is 01 09 11 .016  (which is the actual time of my sample)
And the fade out time is 3 seconds,

Which goes on the top time group?

01:09:08.016

QuoteI have been entering the time for start of the fade and checking that I have OUT selected in the top and leaving the the end time displayed in the bottom of the box.

Right.

QuoteBut this question should apply to any AVIDemux.

No, if your computer runs macOS, you have to use a very recent nightly build to be able to use any of the fade filters. There was a bug in these filters' code specific to the compiler used to generate macOS versions of Avidemux, reported and fixed only after the latest release. Avidemux nightlies for macOS, built on Mojave, but probably compatible at least with Sierra as well: https://avidemux.org/nightly/osx_mojave/

Avidemux builds for other platforms were not affected by this issue.

loninappleton

You were right.  And I tried some other samples.  I did have the layest install for Win-- I got that
from Videohelp which can be trusted for up to date releases.  I used a different sample
and the fade to absolute black completed.  However on the initial sample  there is always a little bit
at the end that if I squint I can see where some stage light is still there.  Is there no alteration to
end of file to black out past the timed end of the sample?  I see this in audio all the time such as Audacity.

Regardless,  It is a good  utility and I'm glad to have it.  This time through I experimented
with the other Fade routine (first one in the column) and that did not seem to behave any differently.   Can you tell me the difference in the two options.

eumagga0x2a

The behavior you describe is possible with short fade durations and the total duration of the video being substantially longer than the pts (presentation timestamp) of the last frame. In this case, it might help to select the pts of the last frame as the end time for the fade out filter.

To check the Avidemux version, use "Help" --> "About" in Avidemux. It should be at least the 2.7.5 release. For better experience in most cases, use the latest nightly. Please always download Avidemux from official sources and in case of releases please verify the checksum (MD5 only, sorry).

The other filter fades from or to the first picture of its activity time (the functionality has been enhanced after the 2.7.5 release, please use the latest nightly for that), they are one and the same only if the first picture is black.

loninappleton

Thanks for the assistance.  I'll be able to find this again under my login.