Please state you deprecate Win 32-bit so we can get automated updates again

Started by rattkin, October 23, 2019, 07:12:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rattkin

I've noticed that you no longer provide standard download for 32-bit version.
This is totally fine.

Can you please officially say that support for 32bit have been dropped for avidemux?

Reason: I use windows update manager Chocolatey, like 5,215 other people
https://chocolatey.org/packages/avidemux/2.7.1

They can't push new updates if only 64-bit version is released, unless you say that 32-bit is officially ended.
It's fine to keep providing the old 32-bit version for windows xp compatibility, as well as the nightly builds.

Thank you very much for your hard work!

eumagga0x2a

QuoteThey can't push new updates if only 64-bit version is released, unless you say that 32-bit is officially ended.

I'm sorry, but this reads like demonstrating self-inflicted wounds to public. While not being directly involved into release management, I think it is a safe bet to say that official 32 bits builds off git master are not coming back.

By the way, nobody prevents interested users from cross-building 32 bits Avidemux for Windows off the master branch themselves, the setup is well documented (except of the details how to obtain NVENC headers, but I don't know whether NVENC is usable with latest NVIDIA drivers from 32 bits applications, so it probably doesn't matter).

AQUAR

"nobody prevents interested users from cross-building 32 bits Avidemux for Windows off the master branch themselves".

Of course this statement is very much true.
However, it also over reaches the ability of the typical end user that just knows how to install and run programs on a $MS windows system.

Even with some ability wrt compiling programs, its not that easy.
I tried in the past to use MSYS and MinGW in M$ Windows but never got past compiling the main program (with lots of code fiddling!).
Would not recommend this to anyone let alone our typical end user.

Mean has done a lot of work of late to get ADM to compile on the M$ windows platform using Visual Studio Community.
So it doesn't need to be cross compiled anymore. However this is not a well documented process and it only applies to the 64 bit ADM version.

Setting up a build root for 32 bit ADM on Linux is the only way here for M$ windows users of ADM.

Maybe mean could create VS compatible source code for the 32 bit ADM. But is it still worth doing?   

eumagga0x2a

I had only the MXE setup on Linux in mind, still haven't mastered the native build.

Of course, typical Windows end users are not those who can be seriously expected to cross-compile an application on Linux, but there are a lot of people with skills who can and who are users relative to Avidemux as they don't send patches.

The point is that it was obvious that official 32 bits releases are no more. Just a question of will and flexibility to acknowledge the change and swiftly adapt to the new reality.

AQUAR

QuoteThe point is that it was obvious that official 32 bits releases are no more.

Indeed very obvious to all except the admins of this Chocolatey program manager site.
Beats me why they cannot focus on keeping an up to date ADM 64 bits on their system independently of ADM 32 bits.

However, maybe Mean could just simply notify that ADM 32 bits is deprecated as seems to be needed.
That way users that automatically update their windows version of ADM with Chocolatey can continue to enjoy the latest ADM 64 bit.

Personally I would just DL directly from the repository and run the program as a portable.