Automatic Pause on Screensaver / Screen Lock / Screen blank

Started by jscheffl, November 08, 2019, 06:14:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jscheffl

Hi,

I am using Lubuntu and try to process a set of video files using Avidemux. Great tool and provides exactly the features I need :-)

I noticed that at the moment when the screensaver is turning on (better to say if the screen in blanked and locked) Avidemux pauses processing and continues once a user unlocks the PC. So when I process a longer video file and my screen blanks after 10 minutes I need to move the mouse or I need to continuously walk by my PC and unlock it.

Is this a "feature" or a bug? Can this behavior be turned off? Is this an environment (OS, Desktop, Libraries installed...) dependency or something that is in control of Avidemux? Anybody else seeing this?

Thanks

Jens

eumagga0x2a

Definitely not a feature. Haven't seen this as I don't use xscreensaver. Does checking the "minimize to tray" checkbox in the encoding dialog help as a workaround?

jscheffl

Hi,
yes, you are right! With "Minimize to Tray" Avidemux is running also when screen turns off. But it keeps pausing when being a "normal window".
Can this behavior tuned off or is the side effect from my window manager/xscreensaver?
Thanks,
Jens

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: jscheffl on November 09, 2019, 04:44:34 PM
Can this behavior tuned off

Obviously, hiding the Avidemux window "turns off" this behavior.

Quoteor is the side effect from my window manager/xscreensaver?

It is definitely related to one of these (or both), the problem doesn't exist with gnome shell.

Could you please test whether the behavior depends on the renderer and on hw accelerated decoding? Is it all the same with renderer set to "Qt" and video decoding via VDPAU turned off?

If it is, then xscreensaver probably intercepts window refresh in the progress dialog which might block Qt. Otherwise it might be related to hw decoder.