News:

--

Main Menu

Audio failing to initialize.

Started by Lunaeros, November 26, 2019, 04:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lunaeros

I am getting an Audio failed to initialize dialogue whenever I try to play a video I've loaded. I'm running 2.7.5 on a Win7 x64 system. The files have no problem playing on media players but not Avidemux. I don't use it often but it was working a few months ago. I have upgraded to a larger system drive and had to run chkdsk to fix a bunch of file errors before I could migrate it. I was running 2.7.3 and figured maybe some of those errors were with ADM's files so I updated it to 2.7.5. No luck. So I also updated my K-Lite Mega codec pack and still nothing. I can edit a video by copying the audio but I can't transcode it. I'm not sure what to try next.

eumagga0x2a

First of all, check that in case the audio track has more than two channels, downmixing to stereo or any of dolby modes is enabled in the Preferences --> Audio. If downmixing is enabled and initializing audio device still fails, please try the latest nightly first. If the problem persists, please compress and attach admlog.txt located at %localappdata%\avidemux from a playback attempt to your reply.

edit: from your edit I am unsure whether the problem is with audio device or audio decoder. We'll find out. Avidemux doesn't use any external codec packs.

Lunaeros

Ok. I've tried it on 6-channel aac and normal stereo. The setting is set to stereo downmix.
I''ll try the nlatest nightly build and if it fails I'll get that log and attach it here. Be back in a bit.
And thanks for taking the time to try and help. It's greatly appreciated.

Lunaeros

Ok. I tried avidemux_2.7.5 r191126_win64 and still no success.
Here is the log in a compressed attachment....

eumagga0x2a

The log indicates that downmixing is disabled:

[init] 18:07:06-796 Initializing audioDeviceThreaded with channels=6, fq=48000
[init] 18:07:06-797 Incoming channel map:
    FRONT_LEFT
    FRONT_RIGHT
    FRONT_CENTER
    LFE
    REAR_LEFT
    REAR_RIGHT
[init] 18:07:06-797 Outgoing channel map:
    FRONT_LEFT
    FRONT_RIGHT
    FRONT_CENTER
    LFE
    REAR_LEFT
    REAR_RIGHT
[init] 18:07:06-797 DeviceStopped -> DeviceStopped
[localInit] 18:07:06-797 [Win32] Opening Audio, channels=6 freq=48000
[localInit] 18:07:06-797 [Win32] The API supports 2 channels max, please enable downmixing.
[Playback] Latency : 0 ms
[stop] 18:07:08-592 [audioDevice] Stopping device...

eumagga0x2a

By the way, why don't you enable DXVA2 to offload computationally expensive tasks as H.264 decoding and scaling to the integrated GPU?

Lunaeros

Thank you! That fixed it. I thought down mixing was still enabled like it was before I updated to 2.7.5 and then the nightly when I was running 2.7.3. It didn't work with down mixing then so I'm guessing that when chkdsk fixed all the file system errors it must've changed something with some Avidemux files and I didn't notice when I updated that it defaulted to no down mixing.
I also enabled that DXVA2 like you said so I'll see if it speeds things up when I have to edit some large file down the road. I don't edit videos on a regular basis so I didn't know that setting should help.

Thanks again for the help! :)

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: Lunaeros on November 26, 2019, 06:39:20 PM
I didn't notice when I updated that it defaulted to no down mixing.

Avidemux doesn't default to no downmixing, it defaults to "Dolby ProLogic". This setting must have been changed, either deliberately or accidentally. The proper check with a message printed to the log was implemented already after 2.7.5, if I don't mix things up.

QuoteI also enabled that DXVA2 like you said so I'll see if it speeds things up when I have to edit some large file down the road.

DXVA2 display will greatly reduce CPU load on video playback generally. DXVA2 decoding will significantly reduce CPU load and energy consumption on H.264 video playback and slightly speed up re-encoding. It doesn't matter for editing in copy mode.

Lunaeros

eumagga0x2a