x265 encoding - some options not available (greyed out)

Started by xyz962, January 07, 2020, 06:46:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xyz962

Hi,

many options in x265 encoding settings are not available - greyed out (picture attached). I have been trying to encode movies with normal and portable versions of Avidemux  (2.7.5.).

What I need particularly is a color option: I have to enter somehow the declaration or command "--colorprim bt709 --transfer bt709 --colormatrix bt709", otherwise with the default settings the colors are washed out (black is not black but rather dark grey on TV screens, but relatively OK on PC screens). Does anyone have an idea what is going on?

Best regards,
xyz962

xyz962

Hi!

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately, I am not able to find mentioned *.cpp files (I am using the Windows version of Avidemux) and there is no x264_encoder.conf file within the portable version folders?

Is there any patch, update or easier way which could help?

Best regards,
xyz962

eumagga0x2a

The missing functionality needs to be implemented (coded), the mentioned files, where the changes will go in, are source files a compiler (MinGW or Microsoft Visual Studio C++ compiler) uses as input to create binaries you see in your Windows Avidemux build.

Nobody has submitted a patch yet, so no, no progress on this so far.

xyz962

Thanks for the clarification.

I hope the patch will come soon.

Best regards,
xyz962

andrewk8

Try Shotcut. Treatment of color spaces is beyond me, but I've gathered its output is targeted to broadcast.  MUCH steeper learning curve than ADM.  I've used SC a few times for filters not available in ADM (and the scopes that give quantitative feedback to what I'm doing).  Both are in my toolbox, now (as is Handbrake, too).

SC tutorials are videos >:(. Clever idea - makes some sense for a video tool, but it's a BIG time commitment to WATCH them rather than scanning a few documents to find what you're looking for.

xyz962

Thanks for the advice. I will try SC...

Best regards!

xyz962

I have tried SC. It looks powerful but the support for hard coded subtitles is very poor, to say the least  - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5_8qr5JJ_o

Best regards,
xyz962