Wish list - calibration; partial slow motion; control duration of still images

Started by BG Davis, January 17, 2020, 08:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BG Davis

Would love to see three features:
1. Some sort of calibration measure (numbers, marks on the slider, etc.) for MPlayer eq2.  I believe they were present on older versions of Avidemux and they made post a lot easier.  Why?  Because instead of guesstimating how much adjustment was being made, one could easily remember the numbers (or count marks on a scale).  Yes, once you've made changes you can see how much you've added or subtracted from default values.  But you have no way to judge how far to move the slider in the meantime (while previewing) and no way to even guess what you did previously if you reset to default.  (i.e., give up and start over).  The "Contrast" filter has marks and also shows a numerical value as you make your adjustments.  It would be wonderful if MPlayer eq2 had something similar.
2. Ability to change FPS on a selection (part of clip only, "make partial").
3. Ability to set duration of imported still images.  One can manipulate this by changing frame rate, but of course this action alters the frame rate of any video that is also in the project.

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: BG Davis on January 17, 2020, 08:00:40 PM
1. Some sort of calibration measure (numbers, marks on the slider, etc.) for MPlayer eq2.

Done: [1], [2], please try a future nightly.

Quote2. Ability to change FPS on a selection (part of clip only, "make partial").

What sort of problem should this solve?

Quote3. Ability to set duration of imported still images.  One can manipulate this by changing frame rate, but of course this action alters the frame rate of any video that is also in the project.

If you mean a way to customize the currently hardcoded 25 fps frame rate the "picture" demuxer sets, then yes, this would be indeed nice to have.

BG Davis

What sort of problem should this solve?
Would allow for a slow-motion (or fast-motion) segment in a video.  A very common technique in video.

3. Ability to set duration of imported still images.  One can manipulate this by changing frame rate, but of course this action alters the frame rate of any video that is also in the project.
If you mean a way to customize the currently hardcoded 25 fps frame rate the "picture" demuxer sets, then yes, this would be indeed nice to have.
I was thinking of an adjustable duration setting for still images.  But of course an adjustable frame rate setting would work, too.

BG Davis

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on January 18, 2020, 05:07:00 PM
1. Some sort of calibration measure (numbers, marks on the slider, etc.) for MPlayer eq2.

Sorry, I don't quite understand.  I have the version from a couple of days ago (https://www.avidemux.org/nightly/win64/avidemux_2.7.5%20r200116_win64.exe) and it does not have this feature.

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: BG Davis on January 19, 2020, 05:04:01 AM

[...] I have the version from a couple of days ago (https://www.avidemux.org/nightly/win64/avidemux_2.7.5%20r200116_win64.exe) and it does not have this feature.

"200116" means January 16, 2020. Due to lack of affordable time travel, a code change created on January 18, 2020, can't make it into a build from 2 days earlier.

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: BG Davis on January 19, 2020, 04:51:08 AM
Quote from: eumagga0x2aWhat sort of problem should this solve?
Would allow for a slow-motion (or fast-motion) segment in a video.  A very common technique in video.

Unfortunately, this is not as simple as adding DECLARE_VIDEO_FILTER_PARTIALIZABLE to the changeFps filter. Almost everything (the preview, the navigation slider in preview mode, last but not least saving of filtered video) breaks down with a partial timing-chaning filter in the chain. Maybe one day, the use case is now clear. Please be aware that even if implemented, due to design limitations, this will be applicable only to videos where A-V sync doesn't matter.

Regarding loading pictures (jpg, png, bmp), the FPS is just an inversion of frame duration, so it is ultimately one and the same.

BG Davis

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on January 19, 2020, 09:32:56 AM
Quote from: BG Davis on January 19, 2020, 05:04:01 AM

[...] I have the version from a couple of days ago (https://www.avidemux.org/nightly/win64/avidemux_2.7.5%20r200116_win64.exe) and it does not have this feature.

"200116" means January 16, 2020. Due to lack of affordable time travel, a code change created on January 18, 2020, can't make it into a build from 2 days earlier.
Sorry I have no idea what you are talking about.  I have the latest version that I could find.  I saw nothing more recent when I looked under "nightly build".  And I have no idea what you mean by done, but then refer to a future nightly build.  Done = past; future = future.
Please let me know if this feature exists, if so, how to access it, download it, or find it.  If not, I'll continue to wait.

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: BG Davis on January 20, 2020, 04:47:42 AM
Done = past; future = future.

Exactly. The feature has been implemented, the required code written, so it is done for me. It is up to the maintainer whether and when new official builds get generated. None have been built after the relevant commits hit the repository yet, so if you rely on official builds, then please wait until a future build has been performed.

QuotePlease let me know if this feature exists

Yes, it exists now.

Quoteif so, how to access it

For instant access, build Avidemux from git master source (which is trivial on Linux and easy on macOS) and run the created executable.

Quotedownload it, or find it.

Not yet, please wait a bit longer.