Jobs Failed consistently on Avidemux 2.7 Jobs (Qt 5)

Started by Fozzie Bear, January 26, 2020, 11:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fozzie Bear

I am running Avidemux 2.7 on Ubuntu 18.04 and I am loving it. I am using it to convert and trim .ts files recorded by my HD Homerun tuner. Thanks to the developer and team for this great piece of software However I having two problems. I have followed the tutorial on this forum for setting up and running jobs but each time they fail. They appear to start and the conversion dialogue box comes up but after 7 second they status changes to fail. Perhaps I am doing something wrong when in the tutorial it say Exit Avidemux I close the program. Should I just leave it minimised?
Secondly I have to reset all the settings and filters each time I run the software. I am converting .ts to 1280 x 720p mp4 so have to use the resize filter.
I cant seem to find an option in preferences where the program opens with all the settings previously configured. I have tried using Project settings but that asks me for the old file which no longer exists as I moved to another file conversion. Again perhaps I am doing something wrong. Any advice would be appreciated
Fozzie.

eumagga0x2a

Which version of 2.7 are you running? I would strongly recommend to build from the current git master source as in case of any problems the first request is to test with the latest nightly anyway while official appImages don't include the Jobs GUI = building from source is the best option.

QuoteSecondly I have to reset all the settings and filters each time I run the software.

Filters are not saved as default settings. This is possible only if you manually customized ~/.avidemux6/defaultSettings.py. Otherwise please explain what is happening and what you expect to happen.

Fozzie Bear

Thanks for the reply. I am running build 2.7.4 which I installed via a PPA found here http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2019/08/avidemux-2-7-4-released-bug-fixes/
I am not an experienced Linux user so have no idea how to build from a Git master  :-[

Re settings I would like as the default to open Avidemux with Mpeg 4 AVC (H264) as video output
Filter SWS Resize set to 1280 x 720 resize dimensions with bilinear as the resize method
and MP4 Muxer  as the output format. How should I edit ~/.avidemux6/defaultSettings.py and where would I find that file please?
Many thanks
Fozzie

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: Fozzie Bear on January 27, 2020, 04:45:07 PM
I am not an experienced Linux user so have no idea how to build from a Git master  :-[

Okay, here we go:

sudo apt-get purge "avidemux*"

to remove existing Avidemux packages;

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install git

to refresh metadata from repositories and to install Git;

git clone https://github.com/mean00/avidemux2.git

to retrieve source code. Now enter the directory where the source has been downloaded:

cd ~/avidemux2

edit: ...and download the translations which now reside in a separate repository:

git submodule update --init --recursive

/edit

then run

bash createDebFromSourceUbuntu.bash

If your computer doesn't have an NVIDIA graphics card, you probably don't need to consider any addition packages. Ubuntu 18.04.x doesn't provide recent enough NVIDIA graphics drivers to be able to use hardware-accelerated video encoder present on many NVIDIA graphics cards, unfortunately.

QuoteRe settings I would like as the default to open Avidemux with Mpeg 4 AVC (H264) as video output [...] and MP4 Muxer  as the output format.

Select both as you describe here and use Ctrl+Alt+D keyboard shortcut to make this the default setting.

QuoteFilter SWS Resize set to 1280 x 720 resize dimensions with bilinear as the resize method

This won't work without a video loaded first. You should instead use the ~/.avidemux6/custom/ directory where you would put a project script resulting from saving exactly this filter configuration as a project (File --> Project Script --> Save as project), then editing the saved .py file with a text editor of your liking (e.g. Gedit) to remove entries responsible for loading a video. You will be able to load this script from the "Custom" menu after you have loaded a video.

QuoteHow should I edit ~/.avidemux6/defaultSettings.py and where would I find that file please?

"~/.avidemux6/defaultSettings.py" is the exact location (the full path) of the file. "~" means your home directory (try

echo ~

to show the path to the home directory)

*.py (python scripts) are text files. You edit text files with a text editor (e.g. gedit if you use GNOME, kwrite if you use KDE, nano is you want to edit text file on a console).

Fozzie Bear

Thank you so much for the very detailed explanation I really do appreciate it.
Perhaps if not already, this information could be made a sticky for other Nubies like me?? ::)
Fozzie

eumagga0x2a

This is not that "one size fits all". If you didn't ask for the Jobs GUI, I would have suggested a different procedure.