Video Output doesn't have an AVI option which I expected, but I note
that to obtain an active filter window, I needed to change it to anything
other than Copy.  I also tried to just export a copy of the AVI file without
trying to change the frame rate, but it won't do that either.   Any help
is gratefully received.
Cheers,
SgrB2

eumagga0x2a

If you are re-encoding using x264, please try the latest nightly. There was a bug preventing x264 from outputting anything with very short videos, it is fixed in current nightlies.

https://avidemux.org/nightly/

QuoteWhen I read in the AVI file the Video Decoder gives:   RGB  DXVA2

You should check that the DXVA2 video output is enabled, the unaccelerated Qt (called RGB) output just wastes CPU cycles.

edit: you seem to mix up video output (the interface responsible for displaying the picture on the screen) and output format (i.e. muxer, creating files of the given format). Of course there is an AVI muxer which you should not use for H.264, HEVC or similar modern codecs. Use MKV or mp4.

SgrB2

edit: you seem to mix up video output (the interface responsible for displaying the picture on the screen) and output format (i.e. muxer, creating files of the given format). Of course there is an AVI muxer which you should not use for H.264, HEVC or similar modern codecs. Use MKV or mp4.

Hi,
Yes, I was confused about the video ouput vs output format.  So, I still have not been able to
export even the AVI file that I read in.  I did set DXVA2 in preferences but don't know that to
do with RGB.  I tried using both mp4 and MKV but got nowhere.  I can see and play the file
I read in but really have no idea how to set the parameter for exporting it.  Hope you can
help on that end.
Cheers,
SgrB2

SgrB2

Here's the error I get on export ....

eumagga0x2a

Pardon, it was me who confused the indication for decoder (which is RGB) and video output (which is  DXVA2) – the video consists probably of uncompressed BMP images. You get the error because you left the "Video Output" (here it means the codec which should be used to compress the resuting video) at "Copy". Change it to an encoder for the codec you need. The MP4 muxer supports e.g. H.264, HEVC as well as a variety of legacy MPEG4 codecs (xvid / divx).

SgrB2

I get this error now using HEVC.  Is that what you mean?
I do know the 2-frame avi movie was made from two TIFF
files with no compression.  I appreciate your patience
with my attempts at this....
Cheers,
SgrB2

eumagga0x2a

Please try x264 before we start looking into background of the failure with HEVC (the suggestion that the problem might be related to bitrate is a red herring). What is the ultimate purpose of the whole operation? Which equipment will play the resulting video?

(I assume you have installed the latest nightly)

SgrB2

I tried x264 and got the same error.  How does one install
the nightly?

eumagga0x2a

Download the latest ZIP from https://avidemux.org/nightly/win64/ (currently from Jan 23), unpack it, run avidemux.exe (but not while the release is running).

Regarding the error, I suspect that you use wrong tools (filters) to achieve some goal you haven't clearly described.

SgrB2

I did the nightly and got the same error.  I haven't
been setting any filters; just trying to export the
file I read in via the different output format. 

eumagga0x2a

Try to disable "use advanced configuration" in the configuration dialog of the x264 encoder plugin first. If this doesn't help, please compress (zip or 7z) and attach admlog.txt from %localappdata%\avidemux\ to your reply.

Apart from that, please explain the purpose. A video of 1/5 sec duration makes strictly speaking no sense.

SgrB2

The video that I made is of the chromosphere of the sun.
The same data were processed two different ways.  The
movie runs to0 fast to discern the differences (if any) and
I am simply trying to slow it down from a frame rate of
10 fps to 1 fps (which would help my eyesight a great
deal).  In making the video in an application called
RSPEC, it seems that the default frame rate is 10 and
I can't change it.  So that's why I am bothering you
for which I humbly apologize.....

eumagga0x2a

While resample fps and change fps are usually the right tools for such a task, I think they need more frames to operate on. Please try to apply the "still image" filter to each of the two frames to inflate the number of frames first, then use changeFps.

eumagga0x2a

By the way, if you still have original bitmaps, you could import them in Avidemux directly (initially at 25 fps hardcoded) by renaming the files like chromosphere-000.bmp, chromosphere-001.bmp etc. and opening the first one with Avidemux without any intermediate application. Alternatively, as long as the number of pictures is very low, just drop one after another onto Avidemux window. JPEG, PNG and BMP type images are supported.

Again, the number of pictures may matter for subsequent editing, but the "Still Image" filter should help here.

SgrB2

I increased the number of frames by using Append
on three separate video -- a total of 6 images.  That
didn't work either.  I think I'll stop for the night.  I
do thank you for all your efforts on my behalf.
Cheers,
SgrB2