Cannot mark, cut or paste on anything but I-frames, even in process mode.

Started by Weltall Zero, January 27, 2020, 05:11:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weltall Zero

Hey everyone,
  I'm at the end of my wit with a problem that, as far as I can tell, wasn't happening before. For some reason, I'm no longer able to set the start / end marks on anything but i-frames now, even in Video Output "process" mode, with a codec selected; which in turn means I can't cut, paste, copy, etc. anything but snippets between two i-frames. I'm 99% sure I could do this without issue before; I just got a warning about it if I was on "Copy" mode rather than process.

I've gone through the options like ten times to see if anything there could help, I've installed the latest version, I've even looked into the Windows registry values; nothing seems to help. I'm a bit stressed out since I need this functionality to make a trailer and I'm on a deadline. This is happening on both 2.7.1 and 2.7.5.

Help, please? :(

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: Weltall Zero on January 27, 2020, 05:11:44 PM
I've installed the latest version

Does it mean that you have tried the latest nightly build? --> https://avidemux.org/nightly/

The last release (2.7.4 renamed to 2.7.5 only for Windows because of a re-release without code changes in order to fix the x265 encoder plugin broken by a build environment glitch) has grown long in the tooth.

From your description of symptoms and assuming that the problem is not limited to a single source video, I would suspect a mismatched or damaged installation or user profile (%appdata%\avidemux). To rule out this possibility, please uninstall all Avidemux versions which are currently installed to avoid a mixup of different types of Avidemux mashed up in a single directory, rename the "avidemux" directory in %appdata% e.g. to "avidemux-old" download the latest nightly (currently from 2020-01-23 = r200123), for simplicity the ZIP-packaged one, extract the archive, then run avidemux.exe (Avidemux doesn't require installation as such at all, it is just a convenient form of distribution).

If the problem persists, please reproduce it, close Avidemux and provide admlog.txt from %localappadata%\avidemux directory.

Weltall Zero

Thank you very much for the quick reply!

I followed your steps religiously, uninstalling both versions I had of Avidemux, rebooted as prompted, deleted the Avidemux settings folders (there was one under Local and another under Roaming), and installed the latest nightly from the zip (r200123), but still the problem persists. The one silver lining is that I now know it's actually a problem (it is... right?).

Attached admlog.txt. I also recorded a video of the issue in case I'm missing something obvious; it's too big to attach here so here's the link (it's unlisted and I'll delete it afterwards):
https://youtu.be/HUkbNPhtRqk

Edit: I know audio and video are set to "copy" in the video, but the same happens no matter what codec is selected. I also forgot to mention that I've tried with both random internet downloaded videos and desktop-recorded videos, with the same results.

eumagga0x2a

You seem to be confused about the navigation slider functionality. Navigation slider seeks only to keyframes (otherwise it would be extremely slow, rendering it unusable). To navigate to other frames, use "right" (→) and "left" (←) keys starting from a near keyframe. If you know already the time in the video which you would like to go to, use Ctrl+T.

Weltall Zero

Thanks, that was it! The other times that I needed to cut at non-I frames I used left and right for precision, but this time I didn't need so much precision it and thought the slide bar would do the same. And of course every other time I tried to reproduce it, I used the bar as well for quickness.

I think it's a bit confusing that the slider doesn't "snap" to I-frames when you release the mouse button, considering it's for all intents and purposes really selecting the I-frame. Is there a reason for this?

As an aside, and somewhat off-topic, but as you can see in the video, the UI in v2.7.5 is too big and several elements overlap, making e.g. the codec selector dropdown unclickable. This is very likely to be due to the fact I have enabled the Windows option to render UI elements at a larger scale (150%), but what's notable here is that Avidemux 2.7.3 and lower (I tested each 2.7.x) do render the UI at a normal size that poses no issues. Something to perhaps look into? I'm staying on 2.7.3 in the meantime. :)

Again, thanks a lot for the help and the quick replies. :)

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: Weltall Zero on January 28, 2020, 01:51:38 PM
I think it's a bit confusing that the slider doesn't "snap" to I-frames when you release the mouse button, considering it's for all intents and purposes really selecting the I-frame. Is there a reason for this?

Simply not implemented yet, especially as the feature would be useful only for short videos, reducing the gain. Unsure whether a hard jump of the slider on sliderReleased() would feel good, however. Anything more advanced would be not easy to do. Wanna submit a patch?

By the way, a few years ago, I had a very similar request to the developer who wrote Avidemux (the navigation slider had much bigger issues back then). I thought too that the slider should snap to positions of keyframes, but in a way that it always snaps (i.e. doesn't follow the mouse). Now I realize that would be unnatural as well (in the physical world, the force applied to a handle would move the handle a little bit before it snaps).

QuoteAs an aside, and somewhat off-topic, but as you can see in the video, the UI in v2.7.5 is too big and several elements overlap, making e.g. the codec selector dropdown unclickable.

Not codec but the output container menu.

QuoteThis is very likely to be due to the fact I have enabled the Windows option to render UI elements at a larger scale (150%)

Correct, you observe Qt used for Avidemux GUI doing exactly what it is told.

Quotebut what's notable here is that Avidemux 2.7.3 and lower (I tested each 2.7.x) do render the UI at a normal size that poses no issues.

Which was a bug, fixed shortly after the release of 2.7.3, making Avidemux hardly usable on true HiRes displays. You can always force the old behavior by creating environment variable QT_AUTO_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTOR and setting its value to 0.

Weltall Zero

I see, thanks. It's kind of weird of Qt to obey the UI scale but not the compatibility setting to ignore it.

Noted about the environment setting, although since that would also affect other programs made with Qt, it might break those instead. :D

eumagga0x2a

You could launch Avidemux via a batch file like

@echo off
set QT_AUTO_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTOR=0
start "" "Full path to avidemux.exe"

(edit: fixed start arguments)

Weltall Zero

Thanks, I'm nothing this down in case I need to upgrade. For the time being the older version meets my needs.