TV cant display 4:3 aspect ratio made in avidemux

Started by SergG, February 28, 2020, 09:03:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SergG

I have  4:3 video with distorted aspect ratio. I can change aspect ratio in avidemux by "mp4 muxer-configure-force aspect ratio" and it displayed in 4:3 but only on PC . On TV it displayed with same distorted image as before (and no tv filters to change aspect ratio helps). What to do?

eumagga0x2a

If the TV doesn't respect pixel aspect info stored in the mp4 container, you will have to re-encode it with a combination of "resize" and "add border" filters necessary to produce the desired result. For more detailed instructions, more (at least some) information about the video is necessary.

eumagga0x2a

If the target TV set doesn't understand mp4 metadata specifying pixel aspect ratio, you have no choice other than to re-encode with swResize filter resizing to 640x480. I would also recommend to add the "blacken borders" filter to the filter chain before swResize to cover up distortions along the right edge of the picture.

You really want to use the latest nightly for this task in order to correct timestamp jitter caused by issues in earlier Avidemux builds including the 2.7.5 release.

SergG

no it doesnt help - same distorted image after reencoding

eumagga0x2a

Please provide some info (preferably the output of the MediaInfo tool) for the re-encoded video to be sure. 640:480 is 4:3 with square pixel. It is possible that the TV just scales everything to its native resolution (please specify it), which means the only option is letterbox (adding black bars on both sides).