Fetaure request: Video segements and cutting points on the timeline

Started by rvv, June 25, 2020, 05:21:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rvv

Hello!

Thanks to avidemux delevopers! Here is a small proposal for huge improvement.

Today timline is display nothing.

Why?

Timeline is very good place to show video segments and cutting points (see attachment).
Visual understanding where is start or stop video parts is very usefull for editing proccess.

eumagga0x2a

Avidemux supports only a single selection which is displayed in the navigation bar when the start and end points have been modified from the default (which is 0 and the total duration). Implementing support for multiple selections would imply a rewrite of a major part of the application.

I misunderstood, you suggest a graphical representation of the segment layout (at least as long as the number of segments remains low).

eumagga0x2a

I'm not an UX expert, but does it feel right to show the position of a segment start (no idea how to implement this ATM, just in general) without access to more in-depth information about the properties of this segment?

By the way, did you know that the navigation slider and especially the tick marks on both sides belong already to the worst resource hogs in Avidemux? Painting even more stuff atop won't make things any better.

Nevertheless, a good idea worth being explored in the future, thanks.

butterw

I would agree that having just A, B markers like currently is too limited.

Displaying Cut-Points on the timeline + a timestamps list would make it much more powerful for editing.

Just adding non editing markers C/D for navigation could be enough to improve it greatly.

---
bShaders: Effects/Filters for video playback https://github.com/butterw/bShaders