News:

--

Main Menu

Audio Problem in 10.15.5 Catalina

Started by bpj, July 10, 2020, 02:40:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bpj

I have a Retina Macbook Pro late 2013 (13" dual core i7). I have never had any problem before running avidemux. Then I updated to Catalina (10.15.5) and I get this message in any version of Avidemux:"Trouble Initializing Audio Device". Same error occurs on 2.7.6.

I have another Mac (macbook 12") that is not running Catalina (it's running High Sierra 10.13.6) and it can run any version of avidemux, including 2.7.6 and there are no audio problems.

I have tried different audio preferences under avidemux but I always get the same error message. I have not got anything to work.

I searched here and didn't see anyone had posted this error. It is not something also mentioned doing a general browser search.

I don't know what I can do to address this. Anyone have any experience with this isuue,or suggestions to resolve this would be appreciated.

eumagga0x2a

Just tested the official release build for 2.7.6 from Fosshub on macOS 10.15.5 and didn't encounter any issues with the audio device. Something must be wrong with CoreAudio on your system. You could run Avidemux 2.7.6 in the Terminal

/Applications/Avidemux_2.7.6.app/Contents/MacOS/Avidemux2.7

and post the output from trying to play a video with audio for a chance that it provides more info why the initialization fails.

eumagga0x2a

Thanks, but you need to start playback so that Avidemux tries to initialize the CoreAudio device.

eumagga0x2a

I'm sorry, but the log still doesn't contain starting playback. Audio device is created at application launch, but initialized only at playback start.

eumagga0x2a

Thank you, now it is clear that the call to OpenAComponent fails, but unfortunately not why it fails. Do applications like VLC work fine?

bpj

Yes, VLC works on the same files that fail on avidemux.

eumagga0x2a

I see that the CoreAudio plugin in Avidemux uses a lot of deprecated functions, which might be related to the problem you experience. For some reason the plugin works fine on my Mac running Catalina, but I'll try to migrate it to the new API soon.

bpj

After examining my mac I decided that I needed a clean install of Catalina. So I wiped hard drive clean, and reinstalled Catalina. There were a number of things that I observed were wrong.

Now things are running correctly, and avidemux is working properly also.

eumagga0x2a

Well, thanks, then the CoreAudio plugin will be updated somewhat later :-)