That 5 second difference in some editing programs

Started by loninappleton, June 27, 2020, 12:17:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

loninappleton

Perhaps you can explain what the 5 second tag is in some software editors.
I even saw a reference to it in an old post for AVI Demux (if memory serves.)
What happens is you think you have an edit placed right and it goes off 5 seconds in perhaps a different program-- like an audio which is being muxed.  This may not be described right but it is a real inconsistency.  Pros know how to spot it apparently.  I have no examples at the moment,   just wondering if there is any known  remedy.

papasmurph

If you use "Copy" for the video it will sync up with the nearest I frame forward. Best case you are already on the I frame, but likely not if you cut arbitrarily.

If it's always 5 seconds (or similar) the reason is something else.

loninappleton

Thanks for answering.  Sounds like it's just something to live with.

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: loninappleton on July 18, 2020, 04:11:50 PM
Sounds like it's just something to live with.

Why?

QuoteWhat happens is you think you have an edit placed right and it goes off 5 seconds in perhaps a different program

Do you speak of identifying cut points in Avidemux, but using the time offsets in a different application? In this case "papasmurph" must have already outlined the reason.

In general, if you find cut points in Avidemux, they are meant to be used for editing in Avidemux, not anywhere else, because some factors like the design decision to use unsigned values for timestamps result in natural disagreement with applications using signed values, which allows them to rescale timestamps so that the presentation timestamp of the first keyframe of the video is displayed as zero i.e. decode timestamps become negative when B-frames are present.

If you speak of a different scenario, please provide some details to ease guessing.

loninappleton

Thanks for answering.  I don't have a current example but it clears up some of
the "mystery" about seeing a different value or not being able to achieve  a goal
repeatedly.