Minimum Computer Specs For Editing 1080p in Avidemux

Started by skettyparker, August 04, 2020, 04:28:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skettyparker

Hi,
I'm trying to perform some basic edits (trimming, mainly) on 1080p video clips from my camcorder in Avidemux, using this laptop: https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-VivoBook-Microsoft-Processor-Exclusive/dp/B085FCS9F7/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=ASUS+VivoBook+with+Microsoft+365+E402YA+14+HD+Laptop&qid=1596556997&sr=8-1. Problem is, the video is playing back in Avidemux at about a third of its normal speed, although the sound is playing at correct speed. 720mp4 videos play fine. I'm assuming this is because my computer is underpowered. Therefore, can anybody tell me the minimum specifications I should be looking for in a new laptop to enable me to edit 1080p videos in Avidemux, or even recommend a specific laptop that will do the job? I want something with about a 14-inch screen. I am quite old, know nothing about computers, and don't have much money, so please bear that in mind in any answers!
Cheers,
J.

Urik

Did you try enabling DXVA playback? If not, try enabling these settings (1) , (2)
If that doesn't help, you can try OpenGL (3) as alternative.
Just try different settings and see if they make a difference; keep in mind you need to restart Avidemux for those changes to take effect.

Your laptop's CPU (the processor part of APU) is indeed kinda weak so it struggles to decode (playback) the 1080p clips. With DXVA, Avidemux can potentially use the graphics chip of the APU for that playback (hardware decoding).
I don't think there's any official specifications for Avidemux - it's not like commercial software where they test with various hardware and specify requirements.
I'd start off with trying DXVA first, if it works for you, then you don't need to upgrade. I've got a dual-core Intel laptop where Avidemux+DXVA works fine, although it's more powerful in all other aspects.

That Vivobook is basically a super-light educational netbook; it's kinda light on everything - processing power, RAM, storage. Anything more powerful / capable with inevitably be pricier.

eumagga0x2a

I would additionally ask to provide admlog.txt from %localappdata%\avidemux\ resulting from just starting Avidemux, loading a source video from the camcorder and closing Avidemux to assess whether the UVD in the integrated GPU is usable for Avidemux via DXVA2 (with DXVA2 video decoding enabled in the settings, of course) and if so, which codecs are supported.

If DXVA2 decoding is available for the codec and codec settings used by the camcorder, the hardware should be sufficient for editing in copy mode.

skettyparker

Hi,
Sorry for the long delay in replying. Just to say that enabling DXVA playback solved the problem with the videos playing back at a slow speed. I am now able to carry out simple edits with this laptop, rather than splashing out on a more-expensive computer. Thanks for your help! (I am afraid I don't know what your post means, eumagga0x2a!)

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: skettyparker on August 14, 2020, 01:50:56 PMI am afraid I don't know what your post means, eumagga0x2a!

I wanted to have a look at the Avidemux log file from the steps outlined in that post. Avidemux writes debug messages to it containing some details about the capabilities of the hardware accelerated video decoder (UVD = unified video decoder in AMD processors and graphics cards). I have almost zero relevant information about how Avidemux fares with AMD graphics hardware.