News:

--

Main Menu

Problem with ass subtitle font

Started by madnesofjuice, August 11, 2020, 10:19:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madnesofjuice

Hello! I am trying to encode with a font, but avidemux is replacing with another font. I am using ass subtitle latest nightly build - 10 august (because with normal build i get png error when im trying to attach a logo)
First photo with original font:

Second photo with font replaced from avidemux:

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: madnesofjuice on August 11, 2020, 10:19:56 PMI am trying to encode with a font, but avidemux is replacing with another font.

Please specify the font requested by the style in the .ass file (or simply provide the file). Is this font present on your system?

QuoteI am using ass subtitle latest nightly build - 10 august

Right so.

Quote(because with normal build i get png error when im trying to attach a logo)

Yep, a now known VC++ build environment issue, missed during pre-release testing :(  All MinGW and all later VC++ builds had the PNG support in the bundled libavcodec enabled.

QuoteFirst photo with original font:
https://i.imgur.com/P5xzszx.jpg
Second photo with font replaced from avidemux:
https://i.imgur.com/P5xzszx.jpg

Both embeds point to the same location (I've replaced img tags with code tags to show this).

madnesofjuice

The font name is Oswald:

Here is the ass file: https://www60.zippyshare.com/v/RpYBuEyM/file.html

I think the replaced font from avidemux is Georgia

My bad here is the avidemux font(ive edited the first post):

eumagga0x2a

Zippyshare is not accessible from my location, is the file too big even when compressed to be attached right here? Else please use WeTransfer, Mega, Dropbox or Google Drive.

Apart from that, could you please start Avidemux, load the video, choose any encoder except of "Copy", configure the filter chain including the subtitle filter, open the preview in the filter manager, seek to the time in the video where the screenshot originates from, play the video long enough that some subtitles including this one subtitle are shown, then close Avidemux, compress and attach admlog.txt from %localappdata%\avidemux\ to your reply?

Unless the list https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Oswald#glyphs is incomplete (I hope so), the font seems to lack some important diacritics like ş or ţ. This would force libass to replace Oswald with a different font (which one, should be printed to the log I am asking for).

madnesofjuice

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on August 12, 2020, 07:39:11 PMZippyshare is not accessible from my location, is the file too big even when compressed to be attached right here? Else please use WeTransfer, Mega, Dropbox or Google Drive.

Ok so i saw the log and it says that avidemux cant find the font. Ive tried with ffqueue and the font its working.

Here is the line that says that cant open (line 1078)
[ass] fontconfig: cannot find font 'Oswald', falling back to 'Times New Roman Bold'
Here is the log:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CE5kdw-mogpF4x9lk5SE6DWMu_Imgkkn/view

Here is the ass:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sPWzaFj_llAaINjDmwjnA5jjVKhXXioO/view?usp=sharing

Ive tried to put another video with same font that has been already encoded with ffqueue and its the same result, the wrong font

eumagga0x2a

Okay, will have a look nevertheless, but you have clearly identified the reason (and the font has of course the glyphs with cedilla, just tested myself).

madnesofjuice

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on August 12, 2020, 07:55:19 PMOkay, will have a look nevertheless, but you have clearly identified the reason (and the font has of course the glyphs with cedilla, just tested myself).
Yes, if i understand right, the problem is that ive made diacritics myself.
I did it with fontforge and it worked on other fonts, just this one is the problem.

Ive tried with a different font (made aswell in fontforge for diacritics) and its not working, its the same thing

eumagga0x2a

The error message means that the problem occured before the question of font properties and features could arise. Apart from that, the "Oswald" font I downloaded from Google Fonts has the necessary diacritics and works in my Avidemux (well, on Linux, of course).

Have you copied the .ttf files into the folder %WINDOWSFONTDIR% points to (this is where Avidemux looks for fonts)?

madnesofjuice

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on August 12, 2020, 08:09:17 PMHave you copied the .ttf files into the folder %WINDOWSFONTDIR% points to (this is where Avidemux looks for fonts)?
I found out that the names are different there. These fonts have Aldin in the name (idk what the heck is that).

That is the second font i used to try if its working.

eumagga0x2a

I used the "static" versions so far. And please forget the question about %WINDOWSFONTDIR%, this seems to be an internal fontconfig variable.

madnesofjuice

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on August 12, 2020, 08:21:09 PMI used the "static" versions so far. And please forget the question about %WINDOWSFONTDIR%, this seems to be an internal fontconfig variable.
So, should i do anything or i have to wait for new nightly build to get released?

eumagga0x2a

Okay, I can reproduce the issue with official MinGW nightlies (it works both with my private build for Windows and with official VC++ nightlies).

Could you please try to replace fonts.conf in the "etc\fonts\" subdirectory of Avidemux installation with the attached version? (Please strip ".txt" from the filename, I had to add it else the forum wouldn't allow me to attach it)

madnesofjuice

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on August 12, 2020, 08:35:02 PMOkay, I can reproduce the issue with official MinGW nightlies (it works both with my private build for Windows and with official VC++ nightlies).

Could you please try to replace fonts.conf in the "etc\fonts\" subdirectory of Avidemux installation with the attached version? (Please strip ".txt" from the filename, I had to add it else the forum wouldn't allow me to attach it)
I cant download i tried with firefox and chrome, can you please upload somewhere else?

eumagga0x2a

Sorry, scratch that. It doesn't work. My build uses an external, more current libass. Maybe this is related.

Thank you for your report.

eumagga0x2a

For now, you could use the last (200812 or later) VC++ nightly.

(VC++ builds also use an external libass, not the one bundled with the plugin)