News:

--

Main Menu

Missing File

Started by wesweber, September 21, 2020, 05:20:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wesweber

I used Avidemux 2.7.6 to compress a 264GB file. I tested the compressed file on several video apps on my PC, I was able to view the video on all of the apps.  I then deleted the original file. The original file deleted along with the compressed version. Neither appear in the Recycle Bin. I did a search of the entire PC with no results.
There are two files that remain, xxxxxxxx.mkv.stats and xxxxxxx.stats.mkv.mbtree.
Any ideas on what could have happened?  Any recourse?

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: wesweber on September 21, 2020, 05:20:59 AMI tested the compressed file on several video apps on my PC, I was able to view the video on all of the apps.

If you are sure that you actually tested the output file and not the input file, this means that you didn't try to overwrite the source file with the output in Avidemux (on platforms without file locking like on Linux this would destroy the source file if the user ignores the warning).

Quote from: wesweber on September 21, 2020, 05:20:59 AMAny ideas on what could have happened?

If you cannot rule out that you tried to play the source file instead of output, the .stats and .mbtree files are products of the first pass, which may have been generated even when the second pass failed and there was no output.