News:

--

Main Menu

No subtitles option

Started by mozo, September 19, 2020, 10:06:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mozo

Hello,
I really can't find subtitles font and encoding settings or they are just missing. I tried Avidemux 2.7.6 and latest Nightly build on Arch and Linux Mint 20.0 to no avail. When I choose ASS/SSA/SRT filter, there's no font settings at all.

What am I missing? Help me please.

eumagga0x2a

Font settings are specified by styles in the .ssa file. You need to edit it with an appropriate editor (e.g. Aegisub) to your liking.

mozo

But there used to be settings for encoding. I'm Bulgarian and encoding is a real problem.

eumagga0x2a

Character encoding should be UTF-8. Everywhere. Again, all this is best to be managed by a specialized application. Such an application exists, is Open Source and free of charge and available for all major platforms.

mozo

Yes I know but I doesn't knew this useful option is removed. Any chances it will added in the furure?

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: mozo on September 21, 2020, 09:42:32 PMYes I know but I doesn't knew this useful option is removed.

I fear, I don't follow you here. No font- or character encoding related option was removed from this filter in the last 10 years.

Quote from: undefinedAny chances it will added in the furure?

I don't think so. All necessary external tools exist and are freely available. It makes IMHO zero sense for Avidemux to try to integrate rudimentary subtitle editor functionality.

mozo

I tried Avidemux a few years ago and there's this option:

Now it's gone so there are removed options for sure:

http://write.flossmanuals.net/avidemux/add-subtitles-to-files/

eumagga0x2a

I see, that howto applies to Avidemux 2.4. It has almost nothing to do with the present application of the same name over a decade later. Font-related options in that dialog IMHO don't make much sense for .ssa where fonts and their properties are specified per style. Please use Aegisub and/or a text editor (notepad++ or similar).

mozo

I.m on Linux so notepad++ isn't an option. Anyway, I understood. Thank you and best regards!

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: mozo on September 23, 2020, 08:01:18 PMI.m on Linux so notepad++ isn't an option.

Oops, sure, sorry. On Linux, you have other excellent text editors to your disposal as well as Aegisub. You might however consider building Avidemux from source with the build option --with-system-libass for bootStrap.bash instead of using the appImage as the bundled version of the library in the appImage is very old and might cause issues (at least it does on Windows in MinGW builds which use the bundled version).

mozo

--with-system-libass
Will this argument add the option I wanted or will just add subtitler support?

Anyway, I tried avidemux-qt with Aegisub and it's working fine when I export the subtitles in UTF 8. Thanks for the tip :)

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: mozo on September 25, 2020, 11:34:57 AMWill this argument add the option I wanted or will just add subtitler support?

Neither – nor. This option tells Avidemux build process to use libass already installed in the system if -devel (-dev on Debian derivatives) package for libass is installed too. Without this option, the internal, bundled, very old version of libass is used. It is known to cause some font issues, unrelated to your request, at least on Windows.

mozo