News:

--

Main Menu

disable OPENGL before start

Started by Slowthinker, December 26, 2020, 11:03:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slowthinker

Hello,

on sourceforge there is the hint to disable OPENGL if Avidemux crashes. I try to use the XP-Version 2.7.6 of Avidemux under XP and it crashes/closes everytime immediately after the GUI has popped up. admlog.txt shows at least:

The screen seems to be 1280 x 946 px
[destroy] 22:37:28-128 Destroying preview
[renderDisplayResize] 22:37:28-128 Render to 0x0 zoom=1.0000, old one =0 x 0, zoom=1.0000, renderer=00000000
[UI_resize] 22:37:28-143 Resizing the main window to 138x220 px
[RDR] Resizing to 0 x 0
[initGUI] 22:37:28-174 OpenGL enabled at built time, checking if we should run it..
[initGUI] 22:37:28-174 OpenGL not activated, not initialized
Probing for DXVA2...
[admD3D_initD3D9Ex] 22:37:28-190 Probing for D3D9EX support
[admD3D_initD3D9Ex] 22:37:28-190 Dxva2: Cannot get symbol  Direct3DCreate9Ex
[admD3D_initD3D9Ex] 22:37:28-190 D3D:D3D init failed
[admD3D_initD3D9] 22:37:28-190 Probing for D3D support
[admD3D_initD3D9] 22:37:28-346 D3D library loaded, creating instance

I would like to try to disable OPENGL but of course I cannot do it with the GUI. Are there command line parameters to disable it? Or is there a config file or some entries in registry where I could make the change?

eumagga0x2a

As admlog.txt says, OpenGL is disabled. Just in case, please rename %appdata%\avidemux directory to rule out that old configuration files are at fault. It doesn't look like they were at fault, however.

The crash seems to occur during probing for DirectX video output, either in GetAdapterDisplayMode or in CreateDevice method. Unfortunately, this probing is done unconditionally without an option to skip it.

Slowthinker

I have renamed the admlog.txt and test again but the output is the same.
Any idea how to get Avidemux2.7.6 run on my XP? Version 2.6.8 works fine while any newer version crashes.

I have tested AD2.7.6 in a VirtualBox-VM with XP on the same computer and it has not crashed.

The mainboard is an Asus M4A78 Pro with AMD RS780-Chipset. I will try Avidemux on another computer with the same mainboard and on a further one with Asus M5A97. Maybe it is a driver problem.

eumagga0x2a

It is a graphics driver problem, sure.

Quote from: Slowthinker on December 27, 2020, 03:06:40 AMAny idea how to get Avidemux2.7.6 run on my XP?

XP should be dead, dead since ages. However, we probably should allow to suppress DirectX video output / DXVA2 probing. This won't help users of past versions, obviously.

Slowthinker

I know that XP is dead but it is usefull yet especially for older hardware and VMs.
However, there is a actual version of avidemux so that you can expect that the program runs with the mentioned OS. If it runs it would be a nice thing for me.
So I have test avidemux 2.7.6 on another computer with the same Mainboard but another CPU with Radeon R7 240, Athlon II X2 240. The primarily computer has IGP and a six core Phenom II 1055. On the second computer avidemux has start without problems. So I have supposed that the problem could be caused by the 6 cores. With EasyToolz I have limited the cores for avidemux to 2 cores and voila, it works. With 4 cores it works too.

So I'm confused because it is not clear what is the root of the problem. It would be nice for me if someone could make it run but it is clear that this issue cannot have priority. I will use avidemux 2.6.8 under XP furthermore and otherwise I will use new versions with Linux.

Thank you for your effort.

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: Slowthinker on December 28, 2020, 02:09:33 PMHowever, there is a actual version of avidemux so that you can expect that the program runs with the mentioned OS.

There is one thanks to the author and project maintainer of Avidemux still having an ancient version of MXE build environment, capable of generating binaries compatible with Windows XP. These Avidemux builds are created from a separate code branch ("legacy-compat") based on an atrociously old and unmaintained version of FFmpeg, the latest one still compatible with Windows XP. There haven't been any backports of bugfixes and new features and no nightlies since the release of 2.7.6.

I'm not sure I will start the huge task of fitting dozens if not hundreds of commits from git master into the legacy branch only to provide the very last, less bug-prone final release, which will get zero developer testing on its target platform anyway like all its predecessors.

Quote from: Slowthinker on December 28, 2020, 02:09:33 PMRadeon R7 240, Athlon II X2 240

This computer is fully capable of running a 64-bit OS, Linux should run great on it.

Quote from: Slowthinker on December 28, 2020, 02:09:33 PMThe primarily computer has IGP and a six core Phenom II 1055.

IGP? Which one? The CPU doesn't have one, does it?

Quote from: Slowthinker on December 28, 2020, 02:09:33 PMSo I have supposed that the problem could be caused by the 6 cores. With EasyToolz I have limited the cores for avidemux to 2 cores and voila, it works. With 4 cores it works too.

This is a very interesting finding. Nevertheless, the crash seems to be pretty clearly linked to calling D3D9 methods => graphics driver (or hardware).