News:

--

Main Menu

2.6 Runtime error Crash in XP!

Started by xtro, January 31, 2021, 03:16:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xtro

Previous version 2.74-5 worked fine in XP.  I  install the 2.76 (32 bit) as it kept crashing(message below), so I used the penpack portable to get an indication if possible, but after loading up a source I got the same runtime error message:

EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION
unknown function  [libADM_render6_QT5.dll]
ADM_setCrashHook  [libADM_core6.dll]
ADM_setCrashHook  [libADM_core6.dll]
ValidateLocale  [kernel32.dll]

The admlog is attached, but i saw nothing in this log to indicate why it crashed nor in the installer package admlog too!

eumagga0x2a

Indeed, the attached log contains no crash-related information. Please do not restart Avidemux after a crash, else the log gets overwritten.

Quote from: xtro on January 31, 2021, 03:16:04 PMI  install the 2.76 (32 bit) as it kept crashing [...], so I used the penpack portable to get an indication if possible, but after loading up a source I got the same runtime error message

I would not expect the same Avidemux build to behave differently. By the way, it is possible to extract NSIS installers with 7z, no need to use third-party packages.

As the crash message indicates that the problem is related to display, please check that the unaccelerated "Qt" one is selected, not DXVA2.

I doesn't make much sense to state the obvious, but Windows XP is unsupported despite the existence of theoretically WinXP-compatible 32-bit builds atop of an ancient FFmpeg. They get tested on Windows 10...

xtro

Sure thing XP is unsupported.  I use Win7 too. Thanks for your tip. I'll check out that display option Qt you mentioned.

xtro

The switch to Qt works in the portable 2.7.6 version and now thankfully no crashes. Funny how using the other option DXA2 worked fine in XP without crashes using the 2.74-5 build and earlier versions. Cheers!

eumagga0x2a

You could now test whether OpenGL works as output too, it would be beneficial performance-wise relative to the unaccelerated "Qt" one.

Quote from: xtro on February 04, 2021, 01:24:28 PMDXA2 worked fine in XP without crashes using the 2.74-5 build

Could you please provide admlog.txt from loading and playing a video generated by 2.7.4 with DXVA2 enabled?

xtro

Glad to help. Attached is log for 2.74-5 showing no problems with DXVA2 and I also ran the OpenGL display option with 2.7.6 no problems there- log attached. I used X Pack portables in XP to avoid potential conflicts!

xtro

Just noticed something curious in the log for 2.7.6. Even though I enabled OpenGL option the log states

[init] 15:39:11-156 Dxva2 core successfully initialized

Also at the start of log

[initDXVA2Decoder] 15:39:13-875 Registering DXVA2 hw decocer

Shouldn't that be 'decoder?'

eumagga0x2a

The 2.7.6 log is with OpenGL disabled. You probably didn't restart Avidemux between enabling OpenGL and obtaining the log.

DXVA2 is probed unconditionally, which may pose a problem (a crash), but it apparently goes smooth on your system.

"decocer" is an old typo, probably too nice and too trivial to be addressed :-D

Regarding DirectX output wokring in 2.7.4 and failing in 2.7.6, I'm a bit puzzled as the only change between the two in regard to DXVA2 was skipping an attempt to bridge the HW decoder and DirectX display, which always failed, and going the indirect path straight away. This change should not matter for your case at all as DXVA2 decoding is not available on your system.

xtro

Reopened 2.7.6 with OpenGL option previously enabled. message below! Log attached. Thanks.

[init] 16:09:59-140 Dxva2 core successfully initialized

Also did a quick test of enabling 'OpenGL gui' below option. The program now completely fails to open.

eumagga0x2a

[initGUI] 16:09:59-046 OpenGL not activated, not initialized
I wonder whether it is disabled in the legacy 2.7.6 at compile time due to old Qt.

xtro

Could be! In any case I'm just relieved that I got 2.7.6 version to work with XP and can utilise its beneficial bug fixes since last version as I do a lot of encoding on this platform more so than Win7.

Will 2.7.6 will be last working version with XP?

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: xtro on February 04, 2021, 06:52:22 PMWill 2.7.6 will be last working version with XP?

That is my dream. Look at https://github.com/mean00/avidemux2/commits/master and go back all the way to July 5, 2020 when 2.7.6 was released. There are over 500 commits so far which I would need to backport (or skip, but this causes often a whole string of difficulties) onto the legacy-compat branch to make a new WinXP-compatible version happen.