Installed 64 bit program but it won't run on Windows 10. Nothing happens

Started by Jo Ptaker, April 25, 2021, 08:23:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jo Ptaker

Just downloaded and ran the 64 bit windows Avidemux program. Then double clicked on Avidemux.exe program file to get the program open. Result: Nothing happened. Nada.

I uninstalled the 64 bit program and installed the xp 32 bit version. The program ran perfectly. Then I uninstalled that version and tried the 64 bit program again. Result: Nothing happened.

Can anyone offer a suggestion?

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: Jo Ptaker on April 25, 2021, 08:23:39 PMJust downloaded and ran the 64 bit windows Avidemux program.

Which one? A MinGW or a VC++ build? It must be at least the latest release (better the latest nightly build). If release, did you check that the MD5 (and SHA256) checksum of the downloaded installer matches, to rule out a damaged executable? Is your Windows 10 64-bit? (It must be 64-bit to be able to run 64-bit executables.)

butterw

Maybe try renaming avidemux.exe to avidemux_portable.exe ?

Also there are two different builds for Win64: http://www.avidemux.org/nightly/

Jo Ptaker

Thank you your replies. I am running win 64 on Windows 10.
I believe the problem is that I downloaded the wrong version of win 64. I first tried the VC++ and that failed to load. When you mentioned other win 64 versions I searched and found avidemux_2.7.8__win64.exe. I did verify that the MD5 was correct.

Result: Success. The program loaded and ran perfectly.
Thanks for your help.

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: Jo Ptaker on April 26, 2021, 07:53:37 PMI first tried the VC++ and that failed to load.

As VC++ builds run just fine on Windows 10 installations of a very large number of users (my Windows 10 system included), the problem must be specific to your system. Unsure about the cause, however.