Started by Peter99, January 14, 2021, 12:04:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter99

The mp4 is output from Avidemux using the settings:

Video output: Mpeg4AVC(x264)
Audio output: AAC (FDK)
Output Format: MP4Muxer

eumagga0x2a

Now I don't understand – I don't understand the purpose. I thought you were asking about files you want to open and edit in Avidemux. If files can be successfully loaded, the output configuration you mention should not cause any difficulties with devices not much older than a decade.

Peter99

You are right, I am asking about files I want to open and edit in Avidemux.

My question is how can I do this without being restricted to stopping and starting at key frames.

If I need to convert them first, I would like to know what they should be converted to.

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: Peter99 on January 15, 2021, 10:33:20 PMMy question is how can I do this without being restricted to stopping and starting at key frames.

You are not restricted to keyframes when you use an output configuration like the one you mentioned. The requirement to use keyframes for cut points exists only in copy mode.

If Avidemux doesn't support a particular video format or codec, please specify which particular format and codec is used in files you want to feed to Avidemux.

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: Peter99 on January 15, 2021, 10:33:20 PMIf I need to convert them first, I would like to know what they should be converted to.

This all depends.

Peter99

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on January 15, 2021, 10:39:33 PMYou are not restricted to keyframes when you use an output configuration like the one you mentioned. The requirement to use keyframes for cut points exists only in copy mode.

To check I have understood that, I am thinking this means that after I have put a video into Avidemux, I don't have to stick to key frames for editing provided that I don't select "Copy" for the output.

Have I got that right?

(I hope so, because that makes things easier. I had been thinking that the need to use key frames depended on the nature of what you put in to Avidemux not how you output it afterwards. That was why my messages probably made no sense.)

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: Peter99 on January 16, 2021, 10:30:44 AMTo check I have understood that, I am thinking this means that after I have put a video into Avidemux, I don't have to stick to key frames for editing provided that I don't select "Copy" for the output.

Have I got that right?

Yes, absolutely.

Peter99

That's good......Thank you for your help.