News:

--

Main Menu

Raising pitch of audio tracks?

Started by Gandalf, January 28, 2021, 05:41:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gandalf

How do I go about using Avidemux to raise the pitch of audio tracks within videos?

eumagga0x2a

Avidemux has an audio filter to speed up audio (raising the pitch) from "Film" (24000/1001 fps) to "PAL" (25 fps) / to slow down from PAL to Film. For anything beyond that, the only option is saving the audio, preferably as WAV, editing it with a wave editor like Audacity, then importing it back as an external audio track.

Unless you use effects which only raise the pitch without changing the speed and duration, A/V sync will be lost when the edited wav file is re-imported as external audio track in Avidemux.

Gandalf

Gandalf

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on January 29, 2021, 07:14:54 PMAvidemux has an audio filter to speed up audio (raising the pitch) from "Film" (24000/1001 fps) to "PAL" (25 fps) / to slow down from PAL to Film. For anything beyond that, the only option is saving the audio, preferably as WAV, editing it with a wave editor like Audacity, then importing it back as an external audio track.

Unless you use effects which only raise the pitch without changing the speed and duration, A/V sync will be lost when the edited wav file is re-imported as external audio track in Avidemux.
I tried that, and it didn't seem to make any difference in the audio output. So what effects should I use to accomplish that?

eumagga0x2a

This filter raises the pitch as it should by approx. a halftone and speeds up the track accordingly, its purpose is to convert videos in combination with the "Change FPS" video filter.

If you want to raise the pitch independently from the change in duration or to a greater extent than a halftone, you need to use the path with an external wave editor.

xtro

Interesting thread.  I have loads of older R2 dvd boxset releases from years back and only confimed the chipmunk voices in a couple by noticing they seemed 'off' pitchwise and in some cases after comparing with its R1 equivalent, where even then the actor still had a naturally high pitched voice worsened by the pitch change in R2 release e.g Edie Falco((Tony Soprano's wife) is a clear example of this in R2 PAL world. Once you notice this you start to look for it in every PAL DVD! Liam Neeson sounds a tad 'girlie' in R2 of Taken compared to the R1 natural pitch. Thankfully none of this nonsense with Blu Ray or UltraHD.