News:

--

Main Menu

Keyboard shortcut broken in 2.7.7

Started by beno, February 02, 2021, 05:39:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beno

Hey there, I've been using avidemux happily for a few years. It's great to have the ability to use 'Open with' now, but the keyboard shortcut for 'Delete' has been messed up. I use alternative keyboard shortcuts (these have been intuitive for me, not sure where the standard ones originated); now suddenly the shortcut for Delete is no longer backspace but forward-delete. On a Mac this requires holding Fn+Delete, and though the OS allows custom keyboard shortcuts, the delete key is not allowed to be used there. I'm back on 2.7.6 for now, but hoping this can be reverted :)

This is using 2.7.7 201115-10h09m_c78c5708108 (the latest Catalina nightly, but same issue using the newer nightly under Mojave).

eumagga0x2a

Open ~/.avidemux6/config3 with a text editor and replace

"alt_delete" : "Delete"
in the "keyboard_shortcuts" struct with

"alt_delete" : "Backspace"
Problem solved.

beno

Thanks for the reply. Much better! I had to delete the config3 file and let it be regenerated by 2.7.7 before it had an effect.

Sounds like you had a reason for making the swap, my two cents are still that the original (backspace) behavior was more usable and that if a user prefers to use the 2-key shortcut, they could go about it by editing the config file. Cheers.

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: beno on February 05, 2021, 07:25:55 PMI had to delete the config3 file and let it be regenerated by 2.7.7 before it had an effect.

You probably edited the file while Avidemux was running, which is futile as it would have overwritten it on exit with the copy it keeps in memory.

Quote from: beno on February 05, 2021, 07:25:55 PMSounds like you had a reason for making the swap

The story behind the change is very simple: a very skilled contributor submitted a patch which made keyboard shortcut for delete editable. This means, the default value for the alternative shortcut for delete came from the same source as other alternative keyboard shortcuts. This was exactly the moment "Backspace" stopped working as delete for macOS users with Apple keyboards (like the one I am typing this text on) as the configuration in prefs2.conf is valid for all platforms.

The original alternative keyboard shortcut for delete in the patch was "K", which I found not very intuitive, so I changed it to match the usual default key on operating systems where the majority of users are – to the "Delete" key.

I fully agree that this ... was suboptimal, so I've just pushed a patch which hardcodes the default alternative keyboard shortcut for delete on macOS back to "Backspace". You can change it again to your liking in config3 as long as you don't collide with other shortcuts.

beno

I'm a bit late in responding but thanks for the informative reply. It's great to have the ability to change the keyboard shortcuts...and to have the more intuitive one back as default.