February 25, 2021, 05:07:32 PM

News:

--


Reset settings

Started by fjbg, February 15, 2021, 06:09:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fjbg

Hi

I'm using Avidemux for a while now but I'm not able to find a way to reset all settings.

As video playing wasn't as smooth as with video players, i tried and change everything (accel. HW, CPU, display) and tried different version of Avidemux with no better result. I now stay now with 2.7.5 which seems the better for me, but I'm afraid to have messed up settings more than enhance anything (jerky video playing). I then realized that settings are kept from a version to another one, even after deleting the program.

My only request : Could any one give me a way to reload the default settings please?

PS: I only work on copy mode (video & audio)

fjbg

My god I'm so stupid
After spending so many time on this, I finally figured it myself just after posting my question here.
I just deleted the folder "AppData/Roaming/Avidemux". A new one is then created.
Everything's seems perfect now.
Hope this can help as I never found this information after lot of research.
Cheers

butterw

February 15, 2021, 09:56:55 AM #2 Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 12:00:24 PM by butterw
Windows default install is tricksy like that, it hides your setting in a profile folder %appdata%/avidemux, you don't have this issue with a portable install (avidemux_portable.exe).
You can find the location of the folder with Help > Advanced > Open application data folder
the settings file is config3




szlldm

You should try the latest nightly build  ;)

fjbg

Thanks a lot for your quick feedback.

I saw the "config3" file.

Concerning the latest versions, my concern is a long loading with some mp4 files (almost instantly with 2.7.5) and a slow motion when reading them (like 1/2 speed). I'll stick like this for now as everything seems perfect.

Cheers

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: fjbg on February 16, 2021, 05:14:04 AMmy concern is a long loading with some mp4 files (almost instantly with 2.7.5)

Old versions like 2.7.5 didn't bother to identify the exact frame type (P-frame or B-frame, keyframe info was taken from the container and simply trusted) in MP4 containers with H.264 video streams. This means, all frames were assumed to be P-frames unless the video was decoded and the decoder identified the correct type. This rendered some checks, necessary for copy mode, ineffective.

With many issues affecting copy mode fixed, it became important to know the correct frame type right when the video is loaded.

If you don't use copy mode, you can safely interrupt the scan by pressing "ESC" while a MP4 file is being analyzed. If you do use copy mode, Avidemux needs to know the real frame type for H.264 now.

Quote from: fjbg on February 16, 2021, 05:14:04 AMslow motion when reading them (like 1/2 speed).

Please clarify. Does "reading" stand for "loading" or for "playing back"? Current builds allow to use decoder multithreading in libavcodec at the cost of disabling HW decoder. With modern multicore CPUs, this hugely boosts decoding speed. If you never re-encode, keeping HW accel enabled, especially on Linux with VDPAU and VA-API (libva) HW accels, is beneficial for lowering energy consumption.

However, there is a known issue with GUI going unresponsive during playback when the fps of the video is equal the refresh rate of the display. Please provide more info about the problem you experience to allow assessment.

Quote from: fjbg on February 16, 2021, 05:14:04 AMI'll stick like this for now as everything seems perfect.

Except of perfectly regular MP4 videos turning into variable frame rate ones among hundreds of other fixes and enhancements in current builds.

fjbg

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on February 16, 2021, 07:18:51 AMOld versions like 2.7.5 didn't bother to identify the exact frame type (P-frame or B-frame, keyframe info was taken from the container and simply trusted) in MP4 containers with H.264 video streams. This means, all frames were assumed to be P-frames unless the video was decoded and the decoder identified the correct type. This rendered some checks, necessary for copy mode, ineffective.

With many issues affecting copy mode fixed, it became important to know the correct frame type right when the video is loaded.

If you don't use copy mode, you can safely interrupt the scan by pressing "ESC" while a MP4 file is being analyzed. If you do use copy mode, Avidemux needs to know the real frame type for H.264 now.


Thank you for this informations. I didn't knew all that.

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on February 16, 2021, 07:18:51 AMPlease clarify. Does "reading" stand for "loading" or for "playing back"? Current builds allow to use decoder multithreading in libavcodec at the cost of disabling HW decoder. With modern multicore CPUs, this hugely boosts decoding speed. If you never re-encode, keeping HW accel enabled, especially on Linux with VDPAU and VA-API (libva) HW accels, is beneficial for lowering energy consumption.

However, there is a known issue with GUI going unresponsive during playback when the fps of the video is equal the refresh rate of the display. Please provide more info about the problem you experience to allow assessment.


I'm talking about playing back (playing in slow motion). This is my biggest concern for not using latest Avidemux versions.

I can't say much about optimisations. I know for sure those differences i had compared to default settings (maybe those which made playback jerky in 2.7.5:
- use DXVA2 to decode (Windows) : was activated
- SIMD : activate all SIMD optimisations was checked (now, all other ones except all optimizations)

I realized by myself that activate OpenGL in GUI Rendering Options often made crash Avidemux.

You guessed English isn't my mother language. I Hope you can clearly understand my messages.

In case you need this, I run on : Intel Core i3-8100 CPU @ 3.60 GHz, 16 Go RAM, Radeon RX 580 Series 16 Windows 10 family 64 bits, display : 3840 * 2160 (32 bits), 30 hz (just checking that for you, i now wonder why this isn't in 60 hz, gonna try that now)

Cheers

eumagga0x2a

February 17, 2021, 08:55:44 AM #7 Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 08:59:24 AM by eumagga0x2a
Quote from: fjbg on February 17, 2021, 05:46:32 AMdisplay : 3840 * 2160 (32 bits), 30 hz (just checking that for you, i now wonder why this isn't in 60 hz, gonna try that now)

You may need to connect the display via DisplayPort or a high speed HDMI cable for 60 fps refresh rate. If the videos you load in Avidemux have higher fps than the refresh rate of the display, the playback indeed turns jerky and lags.

I should add that I cannot test at a display refresh rate other than 60, my display refuses to accept such input.

Apart from that: What display output in Avidemux do you use? On Windows, it should be the one called "DXVA2" (actually, DirectX) whenever possible. I don't mention the unaccelerated "Qt" one, that one is just a safe fallback for the case that all other options fail.

If you don't need OpenGL display output (you really don't, except of when "DXVA2" one crashes) or OpenGL-based video filters, you should disable OpenGL on Windows. Crashes indicate a buggy graphics drivers, however.

fjbg

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on February 17, 2021, 08:55:44 AMYou may need to connect the display via DisplayPort or a high speed HDMI cable for 60 fps refresh rate. If the videos you load in Avidemux have higher fps than the refresh rate of the display, the playback indeed turns jerky and lags.

Display connected via DisplayPort. No problem since yesterday at 60 hz, even if I can't manage to see any difference. I wonder how it turn to 30 hz as I didn't changed anything since first setup.


Quote from: eumagga0x2a on February 17, 2021, 08:55:44 AMApart from that: What display output in Avidemux do you use? On Windows, it should be the one called "DXVA2" (actually, DirectX) whenever possible. I don't mention the unaccelerated "Qt" one, that one is just a safe fallback for the case that all other options fail.

Display is on DXVA2. I've tried the other ones when got jerky playback. But it seems the problem was somewhere else.

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on February 17, 2021, 08:55:44 AMIf you don't need OpenGL display output (you really don't, except of when "DXVA2" one crashes) or OpenGL-based video filters, you should disable OpenGL on Windows. Crashes indicate a buggy graphics drivers, however.
As I use Avidemux especially for it's copy mode (only cutting videos, trying to keep orignal quality). I then really don't need OpenGL for now.

Thanks a lot, you make me understand those settings a little.