Avidemux 2.7.6 package for Ubuntu focal+ @xtradeb

Started by xtradeb, February 06, 2021, 09:35:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xtradeb

Hi!

I have packaged Avidemux 2.7.6 for Ubuntu (focal+) and made it available here: https://launchpad.net/~xtradeb/+archive/ubuntu/apps.

Let me know if this is of interest and/or if there are any improvements I can make.

Back in the past, I made a few contributions to GetDeb and have decided to continue packaging some its most downloaded packages. Avidemux was one of them!

I noticed that your download page still mentions GetDeb. Unfortunately, it was shutdown over two years ago. May I asked you to update that link to point my PPA, instead?

By the way, great software! Good job!

Cheers!
Jhonny Oliveira @ xtradeb

eumagga0x2a

Maybe just a couple of points:

override_dh_auto_build:
 chmod +x bootStrap.bash
 ./bootStrap.bash --with-core --with-cli --with-qt --with-plugins

All these "--with-" options are the default and can be safely skipped. Instead, I would strongly recommend building with external libass as the internal one is very old and is known to have issues with fonts selection. Additionally, I would recommend building against external a52dec and libmad too (libmad0 on Ubuntu). At least the former.

The faad plugin is unused, it should be safe to drop it and the dependency. AAC gets decoded by internal libavcodec.

2.7.6 is very old, 2.7.7 may follow soon.

eumagga0x2a

BTW, if you could package nv-codec-headers, this would allow to add NVENC video encoder plugins to your Avidemux package. I don't think it is worth doing for 2.7.6, but with 2.7.7, this would benefit those of your users who own a recent NVIDIA graphics card a lot, IMVHO.

xtradeb

Hi @eumagga0x2a!

Thank you very much for your feedback! I have updated and published the package with your suggestions.

I need a little bit more help:

- the icon I inherited for the "avidemux-jobs-qt" is very old. Can you point me out a more recent one?
- I'm getting a couple lintian errors and a lot of warnings: https://pastebin.com/ke3Hg7R3 . Could you please have a look at the log and advise?

Concerning additional packages, you may request additional packages by filing a bug here: https://launchpad.net/xtradeb . Nevertheless, I already went ahead and uploaded it. Feel free to have a look.

Looking forward for 2.7.7!

Cheers!

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: xtradeb on February 07, 2021, 01:24:52 PM- the icon I inherited for the "avidemux-jobs-qt" is very old. Can you point me out a more recent one?

I fear, there is none unless someone submits a decent one.

Quote from: xtradeb on February 07, 2021, 01:24:52 PMCould you please have a look at the log and advise?

I have a limited knowledge of RPM packaging, but with Debian I would need to start almost from zero. You are the expert :-)

xtradeb

Hi again!

I made a new icon for the jobs.

Let me know if ti suits you.

Cheers!

eumagga0x2a

A very nice design, I like the concept and the look very much, thank you.

xtradeb

You are welcome!

Any chance it will be included 2.7.7?

What about my original request to get the the download page "Ubuntu — GetDeb.net" reference updated with my PPA?

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: xtradeb on February 14, 2021, 02:35:59 PMAny chance it will be included 2.7.7?

How is this file licenced?

By the way, referencing this file from a .desktop file works much better than relying on QWindow::setWindowIcon(). The latter results in a horizontally stretched picture in task switcher of gnome-shell (affects the Avidemux icon this one is derived from as well). This probably depends on display resolution.

Quote from: xtradeb on February 14, 2021, 02:35:59 PMWhat about my original request to get the the download page "Ubuntu — GetDeb.net" reference updated with my PPA?

I'll try to contact the maintainer. I don't have any access to the infrastructure including website etc., I just contribute code in my spare time.

xtradeb

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on February 14, 2021, 07:34:26 PMHow is this file licenced?

Not sure, but I guess the same licence as the original icon. The gears are free to use.

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on February 14, 2021, 07:34:26 PMBy the way, referencing this file from a .desktop file works much better than relying on QWindow::setWindowIcon(). The latter results in a horizontally stretched picture in task switcher of gnome-shell (affects the Avidemux icon this one is derived from as well). This probably depends on display resolution.?

I'm not sure I follow you, but currently I'm using the provided "usr/share/metainfo" and "usr/share/applications". For consistency, I would like to continue using it for the jobs as well. I have updated the package and found no issue with the icons...
To conclude, I think that at least both icons should come from the package...

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on February 14, 2021, 07:34:26 PMI'll try to contact the maintainer.

I appreciate it! Thank you!

eumagga0x2a

The search results overview of gnome-shell uses the icon referenced by .desktop file, not the window icon. The window icon is used by the task switcher if no .desktop file is found. This is the case which the gnome-shell version on my system is not handling right (or Qt is doing something wrong).

xtradeb

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on February 16, 2021, 07:25:13 AMThe window icon is used by the task switcher if no .desktop file is found. This is the case which the gnome-shell version on my system is not handling right (or Qt is doing something wrong).

This explains a lot. I think I have a few fixes to apply. :) Thank you for the clarification!