News:

--

Main Menu

Avidemux2.7.9-dev version (old thread)

Started by butterw, February 17, 2021, 10:34:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: budda on March 02, 2021, 01:59:27 PMPossible on modern monitors font looks too small. So need better type of report: monitor size ``, screenshot.
My monitor 24`` Dell 1920x and visually all fine. Possible need just 2x view mode for modern large monitors.

Avidemux uses autoscaling feature of the Qt toolkit. Unless the user tweaks dpi value, Qt should magnify all elements of the GUI if necessary. Font size should match the default font size specified by the operating system.

Quote from: budda on March 02, 2021, 01:59:27 PMSmall features that can be useful- copy paste timecode

The code looks like this feature was present at some time in the past or started and not completed. On my radar for future versions.

Quote from: budda on March 02, 2021, 01:59:27 PMIf loaded few segments of video need some neutral visual marker to view transient position.

Visual display of segment layout atop of navigation bar may be evaluated in the future.

butterw

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on March 02, 2021, 05:44:33 PM
Quote from: budda on March 02, 2021, 01:59:27 PMPossible on modern monitors font looks too small. So need better type of report: monitor size ``, screenshot.
My monitor 24`` Dell 1920x and visually all fine. Possible need just 2x view mode for modern large monitors.

Avidemux uses autoscaling feature of the Qt toolkit. Unless the user tweaks dpi value, Qt should magnify all elements of the GUI if necessary. Font size should match the default font size specified by the operating system.

Does Avidemux or Qt have a custom dpi scaling option (if so how to specify it ?), or does it use the system setting ?

eumagga0x2a

On Windows, Qt should obey the scale factor set for each display in system settings. You can disable autoscaling by setting env var QT_ENABLE_HIGHDPI_SCALING to 0 or force a particular value using QT_SCALE_FACTOR (I think any non-integer values look horribly).

https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/highdpi.html

butterw

Setting the windows env variable QT_SCALE_FACTOR to a value greater than 1 scales all elements of the interface including the font.
On my system the text looked OK at 1.1, but the icons/layout did look somewhat ugly. 2 is HUGE.

It would be good if it was possible to scale only UI font size, without changing system settings.

eumagga0x2a

On Linux at least, there is a rather poorly documented env var QT_FONT_DPI. You could try whether it has any effect on Windows.

butterw

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on March 02, 2021, 07:35:55 PMOn Linux at least, there is a rather poorly documented env var QT_FONT_DPI. You could try whether it has any effect on Windows.

Works for me. The default was 96*1.25x=120. Setting it to 125 provides a boost to the text size.

EDIT: it seems the effect is not the same for different versions of Avidemux though ?
OK for r210228_win64Qt5_54, but doesn't affect VC++ x64 210216_.

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: budda on March 02, 2021, 01:59:27 PMOnce program was running using total 4GB+ of ram (even when i closed video but keep program open)

It would be helpful to know which kind of operation resulted in high memory usage or memleak, i.e. the type and codecs used in the source video, the decoder in use, the filter chain, the encoder, the output container.

I presume you were using the latest nightly.

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: butterw on March 02, 2021, 08:09:09 PMit seems the effect is not the same for different versions of Avidemux though ?
OK for r210228_win64Qt5_54, but doesn't affect VC++ x64 210216_.

The VC++ build node uses a version of Qt too old for that.

butterw

Quote from: budda on March 02, 2021, 01:59:27 PMSmall features that can be useful- copy paste timecode
The code looks like this feature was present at some time in the past or started and not completed. On my radar for future versions.
Go to time: Ideally it should be able to paste timecode from the clipboard in timecode OR tinyPy pts format.

Quote from: budda on March 02, 2021, 01:59:27 PMIf loaded few segments of video need some neutral visual marker to view transient position.

Visual display of segment layout atop of navigation bar may be evaluated in the future.
+1 for display, navigation and selection of segments.     
The graduations displayed currently don't seem to serve any purpose.

butterw

Avidemux v2.7.7 x64 Mar 04 2021 test build is available.

The cross-compiled Win64 version uses Qt v5.15.0
VC++ 210216_ was using Qt 5.12.5 (doesn't support QT_FONT_DPI)

budda

How in Avidemux reduce using CPU ? If i dont want 100% cpu load to keep cores in safe what to do?
I member that for example x*ilisoft allows enable custom cores that can be used for coding. Some old good software like S*orenson Squeeze was create number of renders depend on numbers of cores, also allow set priority for coding process.

eumagga0x2a

You can set CPU affinity for avidemux.exe in Windows task manager. Encoding process priority has nothing to do with limiting CPU usage, it can be set in Avidemux in encoding dialog.

butterw

- Encode with process priority set to low: if you are using the computer at the same time it helps keep the system responsive but also reduces the load because other tasks aren't as intensive.
- At system level on windows, you can limit to 95% in power plan >perf options.
- Encoders have options to control the number of threads/cores they use.

eumagga0x2a

The ability to throttle maximum CPU load per application may be desirable in poorly designed consumer devices with insufficient cooling like most of laptops are.

budda

- Was make test render with same settings. Input 1080p resolution output 702x302
Avidemux_2.7.8 r210306 = cpu load 99-100% vs old 2.7.5 Cpu load 40-50 but coding speed slower ~1.5x.
Seems new Avidemux good for modern Cpu and old for old.)

- I hope subtitles plugin gets realtime preview instead of reopen each time preview after edit.