Improving 10 years old commercial music live video DVD quality

Started by avilon, March 27, 2021, 11:40:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

avilon

Purpose is an attempt to enhance video quality 10 years old commercial music live video DVD footage converted into mkv.
How to reencode HEVC (x265) Anamorphic widescreen 16:9 in Mpeg1/2 720x576 to maintain or achieve widescreen?

Obviously it's correct to set "resize video to 1024x576"?
Or should I go instantly to 1920x1080?

I guess x265 file size doesn't differ much, since packaging is very effective and based on amount of original pixel info.

What are suggestions for quality enhancement settings?
There are noise, sharpness etc options available with filters and other for x265.
Which to choose, any suggestions?

Thanks.

eumagga0x2a

Any re-encoding worsens the quality, so the idea is fundamentally flawed. Once the goal of improving quality is discarded, please explain the actual practical use case.

avilon

Thanks for your reply.

I'm not professional and I may be wrong but my idea behind picture enhancement is to reduce noise and adding some contrast to improve visible sharpness. Plus techniques I even doesn't know that exist.

I'm aware that data which doesn't exist can't be improved but sometimes overall impression might be possible enhance significantly.

Enhancement might be in pleasing (cheating) human eye and of course not creating data which doesn't exist.
I have got an idea that it's one of the basic ideas behind any video compression, please fix me.

Thanks.

butterw

If I understand correctly:
720x576 Anamorphic 16:9 (Mpeg2) to: square pixels 1024x576 HEVC (x265)

Try it, you can use x265 crf23 for a first try.
resizer is bicubic by default.

eumagga0x2a

The first question would be whether the source is interlaced. It is mandatory to deinterlace first, resize second (I would keep the video anamorphic and request resize in the container metadata).