What do I need to know to cut out clips from my gameplay recording wit no issues

Started by lcompote, May 07, 2021, 01:29:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lcompote

I do it with default settings. It happens with no issues. I've tried other settings and saw no change
I just wanna know what options do what to make sure I actually know what I do

1. If I don't click on A and B markers. Can a clip be screwed?
2. MP4Muxer Optimization for Streaming. What do those options affect?
3. MP4Muxer Timescale? Khz? What do those numbers do? I always use auto

butterw

The default mp4 container default options should be fine, if not post more detailed info about your clips.

Optimization for Streaming moves the moov atom to the start of the file, which allows a partial file to be played.

Be aware that container DAR or rotation info is discarded.

eumagga0x2a

The other optimization option (fragmentation) creates a file structure where each GOP (group of pictures – a keyframe and all following frames in stream order until the next keyframe) is technically a small MP4 file. This is best for streaming, but worst for compatibility with video players.

Timing in MP4 files is expressed in units of time base like 1001/30000 (or 1000/25000, or 1/90000, the latter is used by Avidemux when appending video files with incompatible timebases) where the denominator is the clock frequency. The option forces a particular clock frequency (it was meant to disable rounding to a multiple of timebase, but I fear it doesn't do that). This might be helpful with some special cases, e.g. when dealing with files created by old Avidemux versions which often created non-CFR files with non-standard timebases like 1000/29970 for an approximate representation of 1001/30000.