Long encode for a 5 second fadeout

Started by loninappleton, May 30, 2021, 05:36:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

loninappleton

I have a 2 hour stageplay clip with embedded subtitles.  I se the
FADE Out and check it witrh preview.

All good to there.

But the recode to get that five seconds over the two hour content takes
over 3 hours-- sometimes listing more.  I just leave the job on overnight.

But is this a normal behavior?  Also should my content size remain the
same?  I am using a current version with the time settings as

02  05  55
02  06  01

Roughly, without copying it all in.

butterw

You have re-encoded the whole video to achieve the Fade Out on the end section, so your results are expected.

An alternative approach would be to reencode only the Fade-out section and join it to the initial video. If this works for you (in Avidemux you likely need to specify the exact encoding parameters used for the initial encoding), it should be possible to automate the process via a script. Set markers A, B to the end section, then launch the script. The result will be obtained almost instantaneously, and the quality of the main video will not be degraded.

loninappleton

Ok I remember one of the previous versions or some such that the
whole file list was the new method rather than targetting the specific area.

I also considered cutting and rejoining.  But using the pointer method
would be preferred.

What happens to the start and stop dialog box _if_ a section-- the last
couple minutes can be highlighted?

It's weird I did not run into this problem before-- the doubling effect
from the FadeIn/Out option box.

So:  Set AB Markers, then select and ADD the Fade In Fade Out set to Fade out.  I'm just wondering what the option box will have in it.
I'll try it and thank you for the answer.

Also did not see an email notification which I thought I had marked for this question.

loninappleton

I have had success.  But from what I got from AVIDemux the 2.7VC++
version,  I had to do a few things which you may have described.

Setting AB to the 4 sec length at end of file to the exact amount of
fade time gave the file of that length.  In the program I still had to set up the usual way at Configure and Filters and gave the start time of the whole file and end time of the 4 secs just like I did before.
All this was to get the 4 sec file to _save_.

Then I took the whole MKV,  used MKV Cutter to snip the whole file
_up to_ those last four seconds at the exact time stamp.

Then I used MKVMerge to load that MKV Cutter snip and APPEND the four secs MKV with fade. 

The end time stamp was the same as the original which is the desired
result.  These frames are just text with solid background credit screens so the append did not show.

I never had to do this before.  Is there a difference with Main Version 6 which this thread is in?  Sorry if I'm confusing the reader or myself.  I don't understand how A-B operate as a separate function
from the as you say 'Script' dialog of Fade In/Out.

I did not see a way to shorten any steps.  Any tips on this would be appreciated.  These simple fades and such are all I have to do in AVIDemux.  I would like to understand if an audio fade can be accomplished in the same clip but that might glitch up.  For audio I usually demux and use Audacity or Goldwave then put it back together.