play Cut video with subtitles by MPV Player Program

Started by Tinhorn, June 26, 2021, 04:28:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tinhorn

I bought a Black Box from Wally World called Mediasonic HomeWorx model HW-150PVR that can record video (& subtitles) from TV onto a USB hard drive . [only antenna over the air]   You can play the shows (& subtitles) from the USB but you get the commercials too naturally... 

looking on the internet I found out that the subtitles are included in the "raster" with the video:

It Said:

CEA-608 and CEA-708 are both standards used for closed captions in broadcasting television, but are widely used for online video and video games as well. CEA-608 is also known as   Line 21 caption  and is the standard for analog TV. CEA-708 captions are the new standard for digital television

so It would see that if the video is CUT there should still have the right subtitles on the recorded video files.   

so

cut the recorded file with AVIdemux to *.mkv file

and

The free Media Player MPV program, an extraordinary program that supports a wide variety of video, audio, & "embedded" subtitle file formats.

and the program can see the subtitles, even when the file is CUT !!!  I have a HDMI wire that goes from my Laptop to my TV & watch the video on the TV too

The program comes with a GUI but

I created a Window 10 Batch File [ here ] and you can then drag and drop a selection of files onto the batch file to play it.  When playing & if Subtitle's not visible, type < j > or slide the Mouse over to right-bottom to [-/1] Box & click it. 
mpv Media Player has a lot of Keyboard Shortcuts but here or two:  "q" Stops  "Space" Pause

Find the internet & download "mpv-x86_64-20210404-git-dd86f19.7z"  and extract it.

To use the Batch File, create a folder & paste it into the folder & also paste the "mpv.exe" file into it.  Add Video Files and thats it, drag and drop  ...

use NotePad & paste the 3 lines & Save As  "mpvPlayer.bat"

this worked with Window 10 ok below
rem You can then drag and drop a selection of files onto the batch file

FOR %%A IN (%*) DO mpv.exe --window-maximized %%A       

rem   pause