How do I reset to default the "mpeg4 AVC (x264)" configuration custom preset?

Started by antipro, August 02, 2021, 04:02:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

antipro

Hi,
How do I reset to default the "mpeg4 AVC (x264)" configuration custom preset?
I've already unsuccessfully tried to uninstall avidemux, manually deleted the "appdata\roaming\avidemux" folder and re-install.

Reading this tutorial:
https://www.avidemux.org/admWiki/doku.php?id=tutorial:h.264
it specifies "The default quantizer value is 26." for the "QP Mode", but says nothing about the default "CRF Mode" Quality value.

whatever I do, I can't restore to default those two values. pls help.

eumagga0x2a

The default value for quality in CRF mode and for qp in constant quantizer mode for x264 in Avidemux is 20. If you change any encoder or muxer settings and save that as the default output configuration ("Edit" --> "Save current settings as default") then indeed, it looks like the only way to reset these settings is to manually delete "defaultSettings.py" in your Avidemux profile (the folder %appdata%\avidemux). In doubt, open Avidemux log file ("Help" --> "Advanced") and look for "defaultSettings.py".

eumagga0x2a

I think it is better you understand where the value comes from. The origin of 20 as the value for qz is this define which is used to initialize the global variable x264Settings here. This part is hardcoded.

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on August 02, 2021, 05:13:42 PMit looks like the only way to reset these settings is to manually delete "defaultSettings.py" in your Avidemux profile

Actually no, just switch to the copy mode and save it as default. x264 configuration will be reset to its default upon Avidemux restart.

antipro

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on August 02, 2021, 05:13:42 PMThe default value for quality in CRF mode and for qp in constant quantizer mode for x264 in Avidemux is 20.

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on August 02, 2021, 05:27:36 PMjust switch to the copy mode and save it as default. x264 configuration will be reset to its default upon Avidemux restart.

ok thx!