News:

--

Main Menu

Window Size Keeps Changing! Can it be Stopped?

Started by pulsarstar, October 27, 2021, 03:19:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pulsarstar

Hi Guys,
When I am running a custom batch file and processing
Multiple video files, Avidemux ver 2.7.9.
Keeps repeatedly changing the size of the open window that it is in.
Example:
While it is reading and processing the file the window is at the size
I set when I opened the program.
When Avidemux starts encoding the file and writing the new video file to the destination folder it doubles the size of the open window, then goes back to a small window when it is processing the next video file.
This is repeated throughout the process on every video file.
It's very frustrating and harsh on the eyes!
Question:
Can this be stopped? If not maybe the author of the program would like to take a look at fixing it?
Thank You.

eumagga0x2a

I am not sure I follow you. Avidemux always calculated the size of its main window depending on the dimensions of the video loaded, unless Avidemux window is maximized. However, once a video is loaded and zoom level calculated, the size of the main window should not change on its own when this video is played or processed. Do you mean that exactly this happens for you?

Finally, if you run batch processing, why don't you use the command-line version of Avidemux?

BTW, the current win64 nightly is 2.8.0, not 2.7.9.

pulsarstar

Thank you, eumagga0x2a,
For responding to my question, and for giving me the information about an update to Avidemux.
I see Avidemux was updated yesterday.
I too have updated my version now to 2.8.0.
I will answer your last question first as it is the easiest to do:
The batch file processing I am doing is Script which is used from the menu option "Custom" and the Script runs from the folder stored on my PC at "AppData\Roaming\avidemux\custom"
The Script is adjusting the volume on the video sound track.
I will batch process these videos, normally 6 or 8 videos at a time.

When I launch Avidemux, I size it's window as small as possible, so I can see the rest of my desktop.
When I click on custom and run the script the window stays the same size as I set it.
The window size changes when the encoding is happening and the output file is been written to the output folder.

I am wondering if it's to do with the fact avidemux has the video frame size in memory while encoding
so sizes the application window to that size.
Then moves on to process the next video file so then reduces the size of the application window.
as it does not know what the video frame size is as it has not encoded it yet.
This process is in a loop now if Avidemux has 3 video files to process this will happen 3 times.
If Avidemux has 9 files to process it will loop 9 times doing this.
I hope I have made my answer a little clearer to you?
Thanks Again...............

eumagga0x2a

Thanks, according to your description it works as designed. To keep Avidemux window at constant size, it needs to be maximized (i.e. you should place Avidemux window on a separate workspace).

pulsarstar

Thank you, eumagga0x2a,for taking the time to look at my query.

eumagga0x2a

Just for the record: while it is normal that Avidemux contracts the main window when empty and expands it when a video is loaded (if possible, the video is displayed at 100% zoom, but if this would push parts of Avidemux window off-screen, the window size is set to ~85% of the available screen width and height and video is downscaled accordingly), I was indeed able to observe a buggy behaviour with some 4K samples yesterday.

When loading such a video, an initially empty Avidemux window first expanded to the expected full size, then contracted to a smaller size (already displaying the preview!), then expanded again.

This was not 100% (maybe well below 25%) reproducible even with 4K samples, but nevertheless remarmable and worth to be investigated.