News:

--

Main Menu

Can't resize main window in 2.7 64-bit

Started by BillBaldwin2, November 12, 2021, 06:02:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillBaldwin2

When I open a video in 2.7 64-bit, the Avidemux window is larger than my screen and extends below the toolbar.

It is impossible to resize this window by the usual method of grabbing a corner/side and dragging. I can maximize the window so that the bottom buttons are visible but the Output Format menu on the left becomes buried behind the play bar and cannot be accessed.

This apparently is a problem connected to large display sizes. Mine is 1920x1080--an HDTV that I operate from the sofa. A past "solution" offered here was to change the font display to 100%, as though I don't have it set to 150% for a reason--namely, so I can see the text on my screen from 8 feet away where I sit. The "solution" offered to that problem was to constantly use Windows' magnifier feature whenever I want to actually read anything on my screen. I think a better solution will be to revert to Avidemux 2.6 which did not have this display scaling problem, but I'm hoping I won't need to do that.

I have tried opening the Properties for the avidemux.exe file to click Disable display scaling on high DPI settings. But that box is grayed out and cannot be clicked.

Another solution offered here sounds more promising: Try to add an env variable QT_AUTO_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTOR set to 0. I have not been able to figure out how to do this in Windows 7. Google turns up various references to doing this, but they all assume the reader knows how to follow that suggestion. I don't.

Can someone clue me in or offer a different solution to the display scaling problem? It seems curious that the newer version of Avidemux is the one that has developed this difficulty, right at a time when more and more users have large displays.

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: BillBaldwin2 on November 12, 2021, 06:02:02 PMI have not been able to figure out how to do this in Windows 7

Like shown here, but instead of adding a system environment variable, you click on the "New..." button for a new user variable. The name of the variable is QT_AUTO_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTOR and the value is 0.

BillBaldwin2

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on November 14, 2021, 02:39:37 AM
Quote from: BillBaldwin2 on November 12, 2021, 06:02:02 PMI have not been able to figure out how to do this in Windows 7

Like shown here, but instead of adding a system environment variable, you click on the "New..." button for a new user variable. The name of the variable is QT_AUTO_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTOR and the value is 0.

Thank you! That did the trick. At first I thought it hadn't worked, but I guess I needed to reboot for the new variable to kick in. I'm very happy!

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: BillBaldwin2 on November 14, 2021, 03:57:28 AMI guess I needed to reboot for the new variable to kick in.

The user might need to log off and back on for the new environment variable to get propagated. This can be accomplished by rebooting the system, but as such a reboot is not required.