News:

--

Main Menu

added audio is missing from saved file

Started by wildman2, January 23, 2022, 11:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wildman2

Hi
I have latest version of software and windows 11.
I opened a mp4 video file and added audio in mp3 format
The unrendered version shows the video and audio as wanted but when I go to save it doesn't give an option to just Save the file but rather doesn't show file extensions and wants me to select or rename the file.   The saved result has the video but not my audio that I added.  These are the settings I used:
Video decoder: lavcodec
Video output: copy
Audio output: AAC (lav)
Output format: Mp4v2 Muxer

Any hints would be much appreciated!

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: wildman2 on January 23, 2022, 11:34:00 PMVideo decoder: lavcodec

Not relevant here, especially when using the copy mode. However, depending on video codec, enabling hardware accelerated decoding (DXVA2 on Windows) may help keeping electricity bill low.

Quote from: wildman2 on January 23, 2022, 11:34:00 PMOutput format: Mp4v2 Muxer

Don't use this one, the libmp4v2-based "MP4v2" muxer is deprecated. Please use the current libavformat-based "MP4" muxer.

Quote from: wildman2 on January 23, 2022, 11:34:00 PMThe unrendered version shows the video and audio as wanted but when I go to save it doesn't give an option to just Save the file but rather doesn't show file extensions and wants me to select or rename the file.

Does Windows Explorer show file extensions? I don't have Windows 11 to try Avidemux on it. On Windows 10, I always configure Windows Explorer to show file extensions and so does the file dialog Avidemux opens when saving a file.

Please make sure you don't try to overwrite the source file. Luckily for Windows users, this is prevented by file locking mechanism in Windows and cannot be overridden. On Linux, Avidemux will suggest a different output filename if it detects a collision, but the user can override this to her or his peril.

Quote from: wildman2 on January 23, 2022, 11:34:00 PMThe saved result has the video but not my audio that I added.

If the source video already had an audio track, adding an external audio from a MP3 file adds a second audio track. Have you checked that the output really had just a single audio track?

Please keep in mind that the audio encoder selected in the codec widget in the main window operates only on the first audio track. To choose audio encoder, language and audio filters for audio tracks other than the first one, you need to use the "Select audio track" dialog.

wildman2

Thanks very much for your reply.  I have changed to mp4 muxer. 
To save the rendered version I had to manually add the extension to the file e.g. test.mp4 - in file explorer it just shows test without the extension but the video plays without added audio.
Have double checked and source video doesn't have audio.
Having loaded the output file - test.mp4 into avidemux and looking at audio it says track 1 is enabled but it doesn't have my audio file next to it - it just shows "track 0 from video".
Any ideas appreciated.

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: wildman2 on January 24, 2022, 10:36:41 AMTo save the rendered version I had to manually add the extension to the file e.g. test.mp4 - in file explorer it just shows test without the extension

The extension is added automatically if you don't add it manually. Whether Windows Explorer should show or hide filename extensions is configurable in Windows and has nothing to do with Avidemux.

Quote from: wildman2 on January 24, 2022, 10:36:41 AMHaving loaded the output file - test.mp4 into avidemux and looking at audio it says track 1 is enabled but it doesn't have my audio file next to it - it just shows "track 0 from video".

What do you expect? You muxed an external audio file into MP4 to make an internal audio track out of it – everything works at it should. This is how it looks to me so far.

wildman2

Thank you.  I wasn't really expecting anything as far as setting were concerned (I am totally new to this software)- are you saying that track 0 from video should be playing in the rendered output video?  Problem is that there is only the video and no sound unlike in the version I can play before rendering.

wildman2

when I open the output file test.mp4 into Avidemux and press play it is all working as expected but when I try to play the file outside of Avidemux in media player or other players there is no sound.

eumagga0x2a

Please load the file (test.mp4 output by Avidemux with the MP3 track muxed in) in Avidemux, press Alt+Return, copy the displayed properties to the clipboard and post them in your reply.

wildman2

Please see You cannot view this attachment.

eumagga0x2a

Your Avidemux version must be ancient, probably 2.5.x something, and therefore unsupported. Only the latest release (2.8.0) and latest 2.8.1 nightly builds are supported, but as all issues with the release must be validated with the latest nightly, it makes sense to use a nightly right away.

wildman2

Thank you so much for your help - it was an old version and now works!  Apologies for not paying enough attention when downloading.