No audio output during video playback in 2.8.0 (2.7.6 and earlier works)

Started by carsti, January 27, 2022, 03:55:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carsti

I am using avidemux_2.8.0_legacy.appimage with Linux Mint 18.04. There is no audio output during playback. The audio track is there and everything else (cutting etc.) works fine. Just no audio output.

avidemux_2.7.6.appImage and earlier versions work fine.

eumagga0x2a

The legacy appImage is the last-ditch effort to avoid leaving users of ancient Linux distributions completely in the dark. You should either build from source or (much recommended) move at least to Debian Buster (Debian Oldstable). However, for multimedia stuff, it makes much more sense to stay as close as possible to the bleeding edge, with Fedora being probably the sweet spot between solid conservative distributions like Debian Bullseye and rolling release distros like Arch.

szlldm

Have you tried changing Preferences/Audio/AudioDevice?
AlsaDefault or PulseAudio should work.

eumagga0x2a

As far as I remember, PulseAudio output with the legacy appImage didn't work for me during release testing, OSS had been already phased out in the Fedora release I was running and ALSA was absent in the appImage. But I may be really wrong here. Most likely the transition from PulseAudioS (PulseAudio Simple interface) to PulseAudio (the full interface) in Avidemux resulted in output device being reset to "Dummy", so you are spot on.

carsti

Quote from: szlldm on January 27, 2022, 10:06:33 PMHave you tried changing Preferences/Audio/AudioDevice?
AlsaDefault or PulseAudio should work.

Thanks that did it. It really was set to Dummy. Crazy.