[2.8.0] Cannot get attribute for VAEntrypointVLD VC1

Started by vinibali, March 02, 2022, 06:30:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vinibali

Hello there!

I'm having problems with a pretty new Intel mobile processor, which has an Intel Iris XE GPU.
Version 2.8.0 cannot start with the recent appimage or the package from ubuntuhandbook's ppa repo, however the legacy appimage works fine.
Here is the output:

Canno be added, because
CleanTalk: *** Forbidden. Message seems to be spam. ***

vinibali

I try to add here as an attachment:
You cannot view this attachment.

eumagga0x2a

[checkProfile] 06:03:18-677  Cannot get attribute  for VAEntrypointVLD VC1
This message has nothing to do with the issue. The problem is that an attempt to upload a VAImage (i.e. a picture stored in normal memory) during probing to a hardware surface via the vaPutImage function of libva library triggers a crash in the driver on this Intel platform. You could try building Avidemux from source with the following patch:

diff --git a/avidemux_core/ADM_coreVideoCodec/ADM_hwAccel/ADM_coreLibVA/src/ADM_coreLibVA.cpp b/avidemux_core/ADM_coreVideoCodec/ADM_hwAccel/ADM_coreLibVA/src/ADM_coreLibVA.cpp
index 0dc1131de..7111df554 100644
--- a/avidemux_core/ADM_coreVideoCodec/ADM_hwAccel/ADM_coreLibVA/src/ADM_coreLibVA.cpp
+++ b/avidemux_core/ADM_coreVideoCodec/ADM_hwAccel/ADM_coreLibVA/src/ADM_coreLibVA.cpp
@@ -134,8 +134,8 @@ static bool checkSupportedFunctionsAndImageFormat(void)
    // Check direct upload/Download works
    ADM_info("--Trying direct operations --\n");
    ADM_coreLibVA::directOperation      =tryDirect("direct",admSurface, image1,  image2);
-    ADM_info("-- Trying indirect (YV12) --\n");
-    ADM_coreLibVA::indirectOperationYV12=tryIndirect(0,admSurface, image1 ,image2);
+    ADM_info("-- Trying indirect (YV12) --\nSKIPPED\n");
+    ADM_coreLibVA::indirectOperationYV12=false; //tryIndirect(0,admSurface, image1 ,image2);
    ADM_info("-- Trying indirect (NV12) --\nSKIPPED\n");
    ADM_coreLibVA::indirectOperationNV12=false; //tryIndirect(1,admSurface, image1, image2 );

I would classify the problem as a bug in the driver.

vinibali

Thanks for the patch, I'll try it on the next week.
Do you mean if there is a bug in the VAAPI driver?

vinibali

Hmm, even the build for the 2.8.0 release fails.

/media/ramdisk/avidemux/avidemux/qt4/i18n
does not contain a CMakeLists.txt file.

Full log:

eumagga0x2a

You've skipped the mandatory step to pull the submodule which provides translations after cloning the repository:

git submodule update --init --recursive
(to be executed in the avidemux2 directory)

I strongly discourage trying to build 2.8.0 release instead of the current git master or at least the latest support_2.8.0 branch. The release really has issues you don't want to have.

vinibali

thanks.
I was even so surprised when after a successful build I was not able to  ;D
The patch works fine, you can merge this.