How can I see the right timestamps to use with ffmpeg -ss?

Started by thisisnotanusername, April 12, 2022, 01:51:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thisisnotanusername

I am using ffmpeg -ss to cut out some pieces of a video. VLC doesn't offer frame-wise accuracy so I downloaded avidemux, which does, and also tells me which frames are I-frames. However, when I put the timestamps like ffmpeg -ss 0:07:02.213, the cutting is a few seconds off.

I think it is due to the difference explained here https://avidemux.org/smif/index.php?topic=19777.0

Although I am not sure where to find "the edit list for the video track" in my file.

Is there any way for avidemux to display the timestamps the same way ffmpeg uses them? Or alternately, to do something in ffmpeg so it uses the same timestamps I am getting here.

eumagga0x2a

If source videos are all MP4, the reason for the disagreement may be the one mentioned in the topic you linked to, but also other reasons are possible, especially if you use not the latest Avidemux (it should at least the last release, but for almost all purposes using the latest nightly build is preferable).

Quote from: thisisnotanusername on April 12, 2022, 01:51:15 PMIs there any way for avidemux to display the timestamps the same way ffmpeg uses them? Or alternately, to do something in ffmpeg so it uses the same timestamps I am getting here.

2x no.